An Excerpt from a
Get the Applications in One Easy-to-Use Guide
by Ruth Buczynski, PhD
with Ron Siegel, PsyD and Ruth Lanius, MD, PhD
How to Help Clients Shift Out of the Freeze Response and into an Active Defensive Response
According to Ruth Lanius, when trauma results in the freeze response, we need strategies for helping people shift out of it (and an important first step is identifying what’s at the root of this response) . . .
Dr. Lanius: Something we have to really work on in therapy is: how can we decrease the shame that’s often a precursor to the freezing response? And then out of that, how can we help people move from an immobile state into an active defensive response where they can really protect themselves or run away, rather than freezing?
They really have to practice that within their bodies in sensorimotor therapy. That’s absolutely critical for people to shift in their bodies so they can experience the difference between freezing and actually engaging in defensive action.
So we can really change these instinctual responses. And when people change them, you see that positive affect or positive emotion is really able to come online.
Would you like to get the entire QuickStart Guide for every session so you’ll have key concepts, exercises, and strategies from the course at your fingertips?
When you become a Gold Subscriber, you get the complete version of every element of the program:
- Audio and video links: Downloadable audios and videos of every session so you can watch wherever, whenever.
- TalkBack with the Experts: Get in on this insider’s discussion with the pros. They’ll explain and elaborate on core concepts so you can more easily integrate them into your work.
- Professional transcripts: Quickly refresh on crucial details and easily refer back to essential information and helpful quotes.
- Next Week in Your Practice: Short 15-minute video where the pros give you concrete strategies to use immediately.
- QuickStart Guides: A simple, concise guide so you can review key exercises and techniques at a glance.
We’ve layered this course with these innovative and highly practical learning tools so you can fully integrate these powerful strategies into your work. You can register here.