Peter Levine Free Report Confirmed Page

Two Simple Techniques Your Patients Can Use to Feel Safe (Even When They Are Not in Your Office)

1278 comments so far - add yours!

Please Leave A Comment

1,278 Comments

1. Elizabeth Davy, LCSW says:

Thank you so much! That was very helpful! With children, I’ve also used a blanket and had them press themselves against a wall.

2. Joan says:

Thank you for your presentation. I have worked in the field of addictions and trauma for my entire career. I have often found it help to send a client to a toy store giving them the instructions to walk down the aisles that have stuffed and soft items and to pick out the item that speaks to them. I also ask them to write in their journal what that experience was like. They can share anything from the experience at their next appointment. Typically the item that they have picked out relates to a childhood memory, often a time when they felt safe. This is another way of facilitating the self-soothing behaviors.

3. Heather says:

Using a blanket that the client buys for themselves or a microwave heat pad has helped calm and comfort clients when they return to their everyday life.

4. Rev. Jeanne G Pocius Dorismond says:

This seems like a very good presentation, but it is very difficult to watch because the signal is not steady and it keeps being interrupted. Please provide a written transcript, as this is not accessible via the video.

5. I love that these are simple and easy for a client to remember. They also provide for a compassionate way for my client to hold their pain.

6. Christine says:

Funny, intuitively, without ‘knowing’, I led a client through some of these techniques the other day. And now, I have a deeper understanding of this! Thank you!

7. Caroline says:

Thank you for these techniques. These will be helpful with my trauma clients. Peter Levine has so many great tools.

8. Krystal says:

This is super helpful! Thank you. I will implement this immediately.

9. MLMalcom says:

This will be very helpful with grief

10. Deb says:

I have read Peter’s trauma books for years! Nice to see him in person!! And as always, he delivered!!

11. Deb says:

I watched this yesterday…and again today. I love the way the techniques make me feel as the therapist, nice a relaxed settled. I like that work “settled.”

12. Pam Raleigh says:

This short explanation gave me some important “ah-ha”s about boundaries and body sensations and why the tapping that I’ve used before works. I can convey this to teachers who need tools to help calm traumatized children in their classrooms.

13. Phil W says:

This is such a useful & portable technique
    & exactly the kind of resource my students have been wanting!
    Thanks so much for producing this and sharing it for free.
    PW
    Professor of Counseling Psychology
    San Francisco, CA, USA

14. M. Chris Wolf, PhD, ABPP says:

Working with active duty service members. Will add these to my tool box. Might be a good anchor when doing exposure therapy or in office CPT.
    Thank you.

15. J says:

Helpful, thank you. We defiitely need tools and resources to feel safe on our own. One of the best therapists I’ve seen I only have to see every once in awhile because she is that powerful in her help. Other therapists, I believe, kept me more dependent. So, good point you made about helping patients individualize through safety.

16. Kim Irwin says:

I will try these techniques for myself and gladly pass them along to others. Thank you for the techniques and the explanation.

17. Karolyn Rossein says:

I work with men in a prison setting. Many of my clients have experienced significant trauma. Inherent in being incarcerated is a lack of boundaries – they live four to a room and in a dorm with approximately 80 other men. I think these techniques will help some of my clients feel some sense of safety in their world and help them develop a “container”. I’m also interested to see whether it will help some of them have an easier time falling asleep – or getting back to sleep. And – I’m going to try them for myself!

Thank you for this…..

18. Deb says:

This is wonderful. To teach the client their body is a container and in essence, it can help make them feel safe and healing again. I’m going to use this techniques immediately with two women clients I will see later this week who have had domestic violence and feel safe no where. I just know this will help them!! Thank you, Dr. Levine, for this free demonstration! I truly appreciate you!!
    Deb Baldwin

19. alexis hamilton, art teacher, san Jose CA says:

I tried this yesterday with one of the 3rd grade boys in my class that acts out big and loud. As I talked to him about his behavior he started to look sad and depressed. As we walked through the exercise together he started to smile… We are trying the code word “squeeze” when I see his anxiety building up… that’s supposed to remind him to try the exercise to settle himself. Very powerful stuff. As a teacher in a high poverty elementary school this kind of exercise is what I need to help my kids feel safe enough to learn. Please consider a seminar for teachers.

20. I worked with Peter years ago and had wanted to connect with him, so this was a very welcome surprise to see the video offered on Facebook. I loved these techniques at first glance. I’ll definitely use them, especially for help with sleep. If he sees these, I’d like to send my warm regards to you Peter. You changed my life.

21. alexis hamilton, art teacher, san Jose CA says:

Thank you for sharing these simple but powerful techniques. I plan to teach these to the children in my classes. Because I teach at a high poverty school in a gang neighborhood, too few of my students have been able to avoid trauma — many have lost parents or relatives to the prison system or worse. Many have experienced gun violence in or near their homes. Most live with food and housing insecurity and the pressures this puts on their parents resulting in domestic abuse. Teachers in schools like mine need techniques like this to help students learn to self soothe. Our kids need tools to cope with trauma if we are going to close the achievement gap between low income and high income schools.

22. Wall y Parks says:

I agree, need tools.

23. Stella Thomson says:

Looking forward to this

24. sybil says:

I look forward to learning what I can from his work.

25. Wendy Everson says:

Thank you for these techniques! These will help my clients who have been traumatized by domestic violence and struggle with sleepless nights, anxiety and depression.

26. Kimberly Perez says:

I am a survivor of a violent crime and I help other peers with PTSD find tools to help cope and move forward, I am a Traditional Health Worker in the state of Oregon and I will try these for sure.

27. Stephanie says:

This seems to work . I also like counting while laying on back and knees together.

28. Have them liedown, elevate feet, and put the hands on forehead and chest. Can stop panic attacks

29. I love these easy to teach strategies and will begin using them this week in my clinical practice with children and adults survivors of abuse and neglect.

30. Randi Redmon says:

I have used the hand on head and chest and belly with clients with trauma and have found it to be a gentle, simple technique for helping to self-soothe. Thank you for this training with Ruth and Peter.

31. Linda Marie says:

Have followed Peter’s work for years. I am glad to add these two simple techniques to my practice. Presently, I am studying Deep Memory Processing which uses body oriented techniques. Thank you sharing this wisdom.

32. Serena Vogel says:

I am a school counselor for middle school students. A good number of them are currently or have experience trauma and have a great deal of trouble regulating themselves. This looks like a effective and easy way to resource students. I will begin using this tomorrow. I will use it for myself when I need to as well.
    Thank you for making this available for free.

33. Cynthia says:

A great reminder of the hole experienced in people who have undergone trauma, and several simp le, practical steps to give in conjunction with talk therapy. Thank you

34. Dr. Ayesha Hunter, Counseling Psychologist says:

Thank you for sharing. Many of my clients have trauma and I will definitely use the techniques to help them. I appreciate the support you are offering.

35. Amy, Psychologist, Connecticut says:

Thank you for sharing these simple techniques!

36. Wendy Williams LMFT Stockton Ca says:

Amazingly simple but immediate solution! Thank you!

37. Michele Bachman MA, LMHC Orlando, FL says:

Such simple resources to offer clients! Thank you!

38. Pat Eagleman-wichita,Ks. says:

Good ideas. I agree it can help. Another is to pull fingers through the hair to self soothe with one hand.

39. Julie Psycotherapist & LADC Minnesota says:

Thank you, I plan to start using them this week.

40. Judith Daucher, MSW, LCSW says:

I LOVE the idea of the “body as a container.” I have been doing crisis and trauma work, including EMDR, for many years. Thank you for your tools.

41. Dhira DiBiase, LSW, Honolulu, HI says:

I love the work of Peter Levine. I will try these two techniques on clients with panic and anxiety due to early trauma. I have a client with sleep issues as well due to anxiety. So I am looking forward to hearing from my clients regarding the effectiveness of these techniques. Thank you!

42. Pam Grant LPC Charleston SC says:

I have numerous clients who act out due to trauma during childhood and are adolescents currently. These somatic interventions will be helpful as I need to build my tool box as a therapist. Thank you.

43. Kathryn Scott, LMFT, LA, Ca says:

Thank you! I will ask client to hold their hands up in front of their face, then cross them until their thumbs touch. Looks like a butterfly. Then lay down the joined hands and press gently on the chest. It’s an unbroken circle with a flow of energy and is very soothing.

44. Jennie L Thomas, PsyD, Neuropsychologist, Sacramento CA says:

Great video and info. Question: For those who maybe hearing impaired, is there a transcript of the video or a Write-Up of the technique that I could have made available? Can I be sent one please?

45. Cat says:

Wonderful techniques. Thank you!

46. Bonnie White Special ed teacher Camden, Maine says:

Excellent suggestions with little children who are special needs kids or hearing impaired kids…

47. Kim I. IL/USA says:

Very helpful techniques that I have similarly used on myself first with the inclusion of noticing my breath. Dr. Levine’s demonstration of his specific suggestions and correlation with our body as our container lends these simple/yet very useful techniques to a wide age range of people and are helpful in the face of language barriers. Thank you.

48. Rae Ann Goldberg MFT says:

I’ve had some success with my clients by teaching them some simple mindfulness techniques such as following their breath or looking at a mandala to help them focus.

49. Mary, Life Coach, Atlanta says:

You’re so right about the holes in boundaries. These are good, simple techniques and similar to Reiki, which I also advise people to learn for self-healing.

50. Katy Welty, Peer Support Specialisr says:

This works so well! I have PTSD and am amazed how easy and affective this is.

51. Alison Donley, Teacher, PA says:

Thank you so much for the valuable insight.

I use (and will continue to use) these techniques along with awareness of breath. As a yoga teacher, if I sense emotional discomfort, I will often offer a blanket for the student to cover him or herself to feel “contained”.

Thank you again for all you do.

52. Christy ~patient ~ St. Louis says:

Lovely practices. Tender and loving.

53. Mary, Yoga therapist/BodyTalk practitioner, Montana says:

Dr. Levine’s work has been foundational in my education. These techniques support clients where they are in the moment.

54. Claire Turner, Netherlands says:

Thank you!

55. Jodi F., Holistic Nutritionist, Tehachapi, CA says:

I think the simplicity of these techniques will be very useful for my nutrition clients with abuse and neglect in their backgrounds. These are the people who have the most trouble controlling their blood sugar levels through diet, alone. I very much appreciate this information.

56. psychotherapist, Austin, TX USA says:

Thank you for these simple techniques!

57. Admita Lorenzi, Senior Trainee, Middletown NY says:

Really nice, I ‘ve enjoyed watching it and learning. I tried the tools and feel that they do help. I usually massage my hands and fingers or do hand mudras to feel connected and be able to relax. Thanks, it was very educational.

58. Grettel Martinez, Private Practice says:

Thank you for sharing, this is very useful!

59. Wendy, NC, USA says:

Great techniques I’m interested in using with my clients and others. Thank you for all your wonderful work Dr. Levine. Blessings

60. Marian Lancaster, Art Therapist, Kentucky, US says:

Easy to use techniques that should be very useful (I’m thinking of several clients right now who can benefit from this). Thank you so much for sharing.

61. Leanna Rae says:

Great somatic tool to use with clients! Thank you for sharing.

62. Mia carbone says:

Useful tools I’ll share . Thank you !

63. K. Jones says:

I am somewhat familiar with Dr. Levine’s work with vets experiencing PTSD and have his book “Somatic Experiencing.” It was an assigned text in a body/mind course, and I am so enamored with it, I keep it as a valuable client and practitioner resource. I find his techniques foster wholeness in a gentle manner, with simple, easy-to-use directions.

Thank you for sharing this video!

64. Ann Harrell, Counselor Greensboro, nc says:

Great techniques. I frequently use tapping and am glad to have these other tools to add to my resources for body grounding. I also like that they are simple enough for children to learn to use them as well.

65. Diana Lee, Trauma Sensitive Yoga Teacher, Maine says:

So useful. Thank you for these grounding techniques.

66. Charlene Dyer, educator/composer USA says:

What you’ve described/prescribed makes sense. At first try, one can feel the soothing comfort of a meditative process. Certainly can not hurt. Mahalo nui loa.

67. Robin Graber, Advanced Rolfer, Carson City NV says:

Wonderful resource, thank you for sharing this information. I will be able to use it with my clients, and actually could use a little of this help myself. Thank you!

68. Leslie, LPC, Milwaukee WI says:

Thank you. I will be adding these to my toolbox.

69. Andrea Axelson, LPC, Anchorage Alaska says:

Video is quite helpful. I’m always looking for resourcing ideas to provide my clients; specially I recognize that the clients respond differently to different techniques. I have several grounding techniques that I use, spiral technique, foursquare breathing exercise. I find that teaching the client how to put things in a container is extremely helpful. Many of my techniques of come from my training and experience in working with EMDR. Thank you for more ideas. This is especially easy.

70. Mina Marmol, Shamanic Energy practioner, Santa Cruz, CA, USA says:

I’ve always deeply respected and admired Dr. Levine’s work in the field of trauma. His simple, yet powerfully effective techniques have helped me to provide empowering tools to my clients. Yet, watching this video has provided me with a useful refresher, as I have an upcoming client with trauma issues next week. Thanks so very much, Ruth, for making Dr. Levine’s work available to others.

With appreciation,
    Mina

71. Catherine RN Paradise, CA says:

Very nice. I was aware of the cross body tapping technique (on the thighs), but had not seen the other techniques previously.

72. Joybelle Johnson-Eriks,psychologist,Seattle,Wa says:

Thanks for the informative video.

73. Naomi Kim, Therapist, MD, USA says:

This is something I’ll be able to share in the hospital- especially for those that have nightmares at night.

74. Lara Michele, Structural Therapist, Sedona, AZ says:

Thank you for posting these simple, yet effective techniques. As a structural connective tissue therapist I’m often working with clients recovering from traumatic accidents and experiences. Opening up their connective tissue often awakens cellular memory that recalls traumatic memories. Giving them tools like this will help bring them back into current time as well as sooth their nervous system. As a survivor of many physical and emotional traumas myself, I have found working through the body has been the most effective approach. Talk therapy only keeps the story spinning and never resolves the core issue. Of course I love Peter Levine’s “Waking the Tiger” and have worked with a Somatic Experiencing therapist and have received some nice results. I also have had great results with the Continuum embodiment practice, osteopathic craniosacral therapy, acupuncture, brainstate technology, massage/bodywork, yoga, dance and meditation practices like Vipassana. Trauma is an enduring road that needs to be supported with loving and compassionate people as well as people who are specifically trained in this area and know what their doing. I’m very appreciative to all those amazing souls who’ve helped me along the way so now I too can help others. Blessings, Lara

75. Kari Sundstrom, LCSW SF Bay Area, CA says:

Thanks for this, I am excited to introduce these techniques as part of our “grounding technique of the week”. This helps our school counselores work with our students in their classroom setting when they become disregulated. Our last technique we introduced was to pull oneself into the seat of their chair by grabbing on to the side of the chair from the seated position then release.

76. Liz, LPCC, Minnesota, USA says:

Thank you. I work with at-risk youth & families and these tips will be useful – in fact, I will offer them to clients beginning today!

77. Lani mom says:

My son was diagnosed with ptsd. These are great suggestions for me to tell him about.

thank you so much.

78. Jo Lauer, MFT Santa Rosa, CA says:

I also incorporate sound… tapping a brass bowl and having client focus on the reverberations for a long as they can hear them… totally focusing all their attention until they can no longer hear any sound vibration at all, while breathing deeply from stomach. Helps center and calm.

79. Christina, LMT, Oregon says:

Thank you for the simple techniques.

80. Brandy Whitehead, Therapist, Pittsburgh, PA says:

Thank you for the information. I work in a school that uses a Sanctuary Model and this will be very helpful!!

81. Mary USA says:

Thanks for these very effective practices. I used the second one when I was driving a car and my passenger became very activated describing an extremely serious care accident. She calmed almost instantly following my verbal instructions to put her one hand on her forehead and and the other on her heart. Thank you Peter for the instruction and NICABM for this video.

82. Margaret Wyche, LPC, LCAS,North Carolina says:

Love Peter’s work. Great, practical tips to help clients.

83. Anne Thompson, Ph.D., Clinical Psychologist, Los Angeles, CA says:

I found these body oriented tools very helpful. I even felt a shift as I did them while following along with the video. I will definitely use them with my clients and look forward to doing SE training this year. Thank you.

84. Dee Wagner, LPC and dance therapist, Atlanta GA says:

Dance therapists talk a lot about containers which are in deed so important for feeling safe. Also, we look at the amount of pressure each person needs to feel contained at the skin level in these techniques, what we call molding, shape/countershape. I love the waiting with hand on head and heart, and then heart and belly, waiting for a shift, balancing thoughts and body sensations. I have written a lot these days about Stephen Porges’ polyvagal theory and I always include the important piece Peter Levine adds about coming out of shut-down into fight/flight and then how to move into the social engagement system. http://www.elephantjournal.com/2015/09/the-science-behind-mindfulness-from-a-polyvagal-junkie/

85. Beth Answorth, LCSW says:

I found this video to be very helpful. In my work with trauma patients, I have included deep-breathing relaxation exercises, “grounding tools” of smooth stones, afghans and guided visualization to be helpful. I intend to integrate these 2 new tools into my work.. I like the concept of “body as container.”

86. ann abbrecht, lpc, new orleans, la says:

I ask my clients to hug themselves, much like the first technique, but with both hands on the respective upper arms, then I ask them to breathe deeply and hug on the inhale and slightly release on the exhale. This seems to have a calming effect.

87. Susie Young, CBTC, CPLC says:

Thank you for sharing.

88. Angela Underwood, LPC, Psychological Therapist, Birmingham, ala says:

love the techniques. Using them with clients.

89. Eileen, Psychotherapy, Boulder, CO says:

These are all incredibly useful across age groups. Combined with bilateral interventions – EMDR and brain spotting- can allow a sense of visceral soothing and containment and control while processing traumatic experience.

90. SandraWilliams, MD, Houston, Tx says:

oh, and I now see that you are the Peter Levine who wrote Waking the Tiger; I have loved and treasured that book for many years and used some of it to help other people better understand how we store traumatic energy rather than releasing it. Thanks so much for that book as well as the trauma techniques you now share.

91. SandraWilliams, MD, Houston, Tx says:

Being a trauma survivor as well as a pediatrician, I personally found the right hand on the left chest and the left hand on the right arm very comforting and believe children will, too. Also when you demonstrated the patting down the arms, it reminded me of a qiqong energy flow patting down the arms, so while that patting helps with boundary awareness, it may well help with balancing energy flow through the body. Thanks for the quick and handy ways to show folk ways to self comfort.

92. Christina, Psychotherapist, Boulder/CO says:

Thank you for sharing these helpful techniques.

93. Michelle Saul - Consultant / Coach San Diego CA says:

Thank you, useful easy quick technique for when a client does not have access to quiet space to do a full tapping sequence. I also facilitate
    group seminars that focus on experiential processes to help individuals recognize that they create their reality/experience. Helping an individual to feel
    empowered to create their own experience of safety is very helpful. Thank you again, for your generosity in sharing these simple physical techniques.

94. jane shoenfeld, Art Therapist, Santa Fe, NM says:

Thank you. very useful, easy to share, also helpful with insomnia

95. Rosemary A Jozwiak, Holistic Psychotherapist, Royal Oak, Michigan says:

Helpful info to add in addition with EFT, and other energy techniques for self soothing.

96. Julie, Mental Health Tech says:

Helpful info, thank you

97. Angela Underwood, LPC, Psychological Therapist, Birmingham, ala says:

Thank you. Will definitely be adding this to my ways of helping others self soothe. Wonderful.

98. Marti, Atlanta, ga says:

Thank you! mindfullness is also a great technique.

99. dr hope fay, naturopathic doc...clinton, wa says:

i like these techniques very much and will not only use them with clients as a self help tool, but friends who need to know how to self soothe…and honestly, for myself when i need to calm…thankyou so much…i felt a difference immediately…

100. Francesca Gangitano, Energy Therapist says:

I found this very useful. I study Chakra Therapy with Anodea Judith, and a Reiki Master, and soon to be Kundalini Yoga teacher. In the past 16 months I have been very aware of the trauma around me. I will use these techniques with my clients and others. Thank you for these – they are simple and I can use them with many more people, those I don’t consult, but know that are feeling the effects of trauma. Even myself since sleep does not come easily to me.

101. GW, health coach, NYC says:

Have known and used these with clients and myself. Recently developed another that I particularly like: cup each cheek with the corresponding palm of hand. The insides of the wrists (lesser known eft points) should then meet. Face and heart area are cradled as a result. Hold and take a few deep breaths. Very soothing and seems to evoke self-compassion and kindness for many.

102. Rebecca Dougherty LMSW, psychiatric SW, Detroit/ Michigan says:

I work in an acute care psychiatric hospital where many of the patients are dealing with the aftermath of trauma. We do DBT therapy and these techmiques will fit
    Perfectly in with the day we focus on self soothing and mindfulness.

103. Renee, Social Researcher, Red Scaffold, SD says:

Very helpful, in just a few moments, I felt the shift in energy within my body.
    I have used tapping methods in past that have been helpful in calming anxiety. Have not had episode in quite awhile. Will plan to use if occasion arises in future. Thank you.

104. Ren'ee says:

I do spiritual advisement and also give Reiki energy sessions. These 2 techniques are shared to produced a calm centeredness within the body. The palming on forehead and chest is a wonderful way to give your own body healing energy and self nurturing. The ‘hug’ is one I use when I teach ‘Self Love’, it is a gentle way of producing ‘mothering self support’ within the body. I have seen where it causes ‘rocking’ with myself and clients which also serves to calm the system.

105. B. nurse Wisconsin says:

Great comfort measures. Thanks.

106. Jeff, therapist, Vermont says:

very useful thank you

107. Pamela Lewis LMFT, Placentia CA says:

I had the pleasure of attending a training with Dr. Levine a few years back and have held onto the tools and techniques. I utilize them while running groups and focusing on relaxation and containment. Even those who don’t report any major trauma in their life, but high levels of anxiety, feel the self message and hug techniques really help them feel safe and grounded.
    Thank you for all of your work!

108. Amy, Researcher, Brooklyn, NY USA says:

I see a Somatic Experiencing therapist and want to share with her.

I took screenshots of the body postures to remember how to calm and soothe myself.

Thank you !
    I immediately felt comforted with both.

109. CJ, Coach, MT says:

Good ideas for re-connecting with self and re-establishing physical integrity.

110. Vicky, LISW, IAADC, Iowa says:

Using EMDR with clients. We build a container they visualize putting away what they don’t want to work on and take it out later. Will add touch as shown. Like the body idea as whole person container. Teach bi-lateral tapping of feet and heels also thanks.

111. Liz, Yoga Teacher, PA says:

Simple and powerful, like yoga mudras which work really well for my clients. I’ll be sharing!

112. Carly Rose, MFT Trainee, Santa Cruz, CA says:

Great, thanks. These are both such simple and accessible techniques to add to the routine grounding and centering necessary for working with severe trauma. Much appreciated.

113. Vivian Morgan, LCPC , Baltimore, MD says:

Wonderful! These are terrific grounding techniques. I have used the “anchoring breath” with the hand on the heart and the other on the belly, as a way to mindfully acknowledged what we are feeling in the moment. While we close the eyes, accepting that feeling without judgement. Then taking a few belly breaths, filling and rounding the belly, and relaxing the shoulders on the exhale. Then to orient ourselves back to the moment, rubbing the hands on the thighs, or rubbing the face gently and opening the eyes slowly. I appreciate Dr. Levine’so work. These are wonderful, thank you for taking the time to share them. I can easily bring these into my practice.

114. Miriam Jacobs, Communications Trainer, USA says:

I teach business communication courses, and I will use this in my ‘communications for women’ course. Many women are terrified at work, especially giving and getting criticism and speaking up in meetings. I will present these self soothing techniques as a way to deal with business situations, but I know that (as with many of the ideas I present) they will use in their private lives too. Thank you.

115. Susan Kimball LCSW, Waynesville, NC says:

Thank you, I’d like to learn more.

116. Susan, School Social Worker, Connecticut says:

This seems to be related to strategies for use with sensory processing disorder, often a part of Autism Spectrum Disorders but also ADHD and others. Do you find it works as well with children? It sounds like it could help sensory-wise whether or not the person realizes that “unsafe” is the feeling. Sadly supporting many children who have experienced various types of trauma.

117. Marybeth Varrone Retired Psych RN Pueblo, CO says:

I am interested because I both have friends in the field, currently. Also I myself suffer from PTSD and Bipolar Affective Disorder. This leaves me with several reasons to know your thoughts and ideas.

118. Gerd, psychotherapist says:

Thank you !

119. Lorri, Mobile therapist, Pittsburgh Pa says:

I loved the simplicity of the techniques and will use with most of my patients.

120. Susan Greene says:

It is very consistent with Energy Medicine. Thank you.

121. tami says:

122. Manuela de Palma says:

123. Kjell Forsberg says:

I find it interesting that Peter Levine is incorporating more and more of the techniques that I have learned in the field of Energy Psychology. They are simple and yet effective.

124. Candy, Teacher, finished the beginners level of SE. , Hong Kong says:

I was traumatized in the past. My therapist introduced SE to me. He helped me with SE and I even joined the programme and learnt it myself. I have tried using the techniques on myself. It worked on me and I found myself safe even without my therapist’s presence.
    Thank you Peter for the techniques. It saved me a lot when I am panic.

125. Athena Spelios,LCSW Brooklyn, NY says:

Easy to remember techniques that I will use with the children and teens that I treat. Thank you!

126. Lynn Cooper; psychologist and divorce mediator; Newton MA says:

These seem useful and I will try them with my clients as needed. I would much appreciate the offered transcript.

127. Ladd McClurg, Salt Lake City, UT says:

Consistent with tapping techniques and reiki.

128. Susan Nemeth, LPC, LCADC Lebanon, NJ says:

Easy techniques to remember–for me and my clients!

129. Tom Desio, Mental Health Counselor/FL says:

These techniques seem promising for children in foster care. I will pass them on.

130. En-May, Intuitive Advisor, EFT. Seattle, WA USA says:

A great illustration of self soothing techniques for the trauma-influenced client. Thank You!

131. Colleen LCSW New Jersey says:

Thank you for reaffirming my practice. I liken this to the ways in which we console a child or naturally go to a person in need and give them a firm but sincere calming touch and explain to people that we have many intuitive ways of bringing the focus back to the container of the body to the here and now to regain a sense of safety. Firm pressure as is a hug, hand on the head, the chest, the stomach we doe these quite naturally to others we often forget to do these for ourselves to heal.

132. Jay Prevett, UKCP Registered Psychotherapist says:

Through having experienced somatic trauma therapy training in the long distant past I have integrated my learnings and know the value of the therapeutic SIBAM model which is incredibly valuable in my work with clients. I’m always appreciative of any additional information that can support them and promote their autonomy. I enjoyed trying out these exercises and experiencing the somatic effects whilst watching your video and can definately feel the value in them. Thank you.

133. Adrianna Irvine Psychotherapist Florida says:

Love the suggestions which I followed as they were being demonstrated. I could feel them ‘working’ & will be putting them to good use with patients. Many thanks,

134. Brigid, Bereavement Counsellor, W Australia says:

I am interested to use this technique on my bereaved parents; the death of a baby or child can be very traumatising!

135. Mary Kalyna, Philadelphia PA says:

I am documenting the stories of Ukrainian survivors of the Holocaust and their children. Very useful to have techniques to use when talking about their experience causes overwhelming anxiety to arise.

136. lisa swartz, MA Colorado says:

Thank you! I work with adolescents and in addition to safe place and container I will add these techniques!

137. Janet, Couple's Therapist FL. says:

Many of my clients have been traumatized in one way or another, I am hoping that these tools will help to facilitate peace into their soul.

138. Rabbi Mitch Feld, Spiritual Healer, Coral Springs, Florida, USA says:

Effective tools for all people to begin to know their power to feel safe within.

139. Phyllis Stern, Reiki healer, New York, New York says:

Found this very helpful, both for myself and to suggest to others.

So simple, and yet effective ways of showing self-nurturing and a sense of containment.

Thanks for sharing. Love Peter Levine’s work.

140. Kathryn Nevin, Social Worker, DE says:

This is great. So many times as therapist we rely on talk only — simply because we forget or don’t know the power of the body/brain to heal itself with touch or movement. Or we have our own unfinished trauma issues. I will definitely be able to use these techniques for myself and to empower clients to soothe themselves. Self-soothing must happen; otherwise, the client stays stuck. I really appreciate what you’ve put together here. I’m very impressed with Peter Levine’s books and now this video. Thank you so much for publishing this!

141. janis shannon social worker blue point ny says:

I always have clients place feet firmly on floor and and direct their attention to feeling the feet in shoes on the floor. making contact with ground. what does it feel like??? now notice your breath. just notice breath and feet on floor. Deepen your breath and notice feet touching the floor. Gravity holding feet down connecting to ground. And so on. If they are in a panic i do that and also ask them to place one hand on theri forehead and one hand one back of head and hold it. just feel head embraced in hands.

I am also an intermediate eft pracitioner and Reiki master as i work with many with anxiety and panic disorders.

thank you for this addition to my tool box for clients.

142. Counsellor UK says:

Thank you again, really useful. I have one client whose abuser left the client with traumatic memory of his heavy weight on the chest. At present we have found this hand on chest is a trigger and a little too much, but we are moving forward in other ways, on other areas of the body, it’s early days.

143. Candida Chatfield, Marriage and Family Therapist Norman, Oklahoma says:

I am looking forward to passing these techniques onto my clients.

144. Cindy, hypnotherapist, nlp coach says:

Thank you. I’m teaching these techniques to my clients now with positive feedback.

145. Jesika Zabajnik MFTI, Bay Area, Ca says:

I find this video very helpful as a way to supplement TF-CBT. Trauma Focused Cognitive therapy is the evidence based practices that my company requires as a treatment to trauma. The techniques in the video have been so useful to my clients while doing the TF-CBT. It was been very clear that client’s who I introduce this to stay in therapy and continue to work with the TF-CBT, and clients who I don’t introduce this to drop out of therapy. Thank you for such a simple, but incredibly valuable tool!

146. Regina Collins, LPC, Washington, DC says:

Thank you for these gentle, yet powerful techniques. So many can apply these tools and get more ease.

147. Luisa Johnson,PhD; Spiritual Director,retired psychologist;Camarillo, Ca says:

Thank you for these simple, unobtrusive grounding techniques.
    These can be used any time and anywhere. LSJ

148. kyra valentine says:

These techniques promote calming of the nervous system. I like the idea of the body as container with boundaries. Will pass this along to my partner.

149. Katheryn Yasuoka massage therapist. Olney, MD says:

Thanks for bringing these simple techniques to my attention. I see many that have experienced trauma and found that my training in cranialsacral has been a useful tool. I like the fact that these techniques can be used by the individual at any time.

150. Lee Ann Eurs. MFTi says:

Thank you for sharing these valuable techniques. They are simple to demonstrate for clients and in addition to being soothing are an excellent way to introduce the concept of the body/somatic role in in the healing process. Our bodies do remember, and demonstrating the container in relation to having a boundary, will certainly help with the often perceived “overwhelm” experienced by many people with a history of trauma. I will also add these techniques to my personal self care as they seem to be a good way of checking in with my own stuff, and bringing awareness to my own energy. Thank you for this and all that nicabm is contributing to making this work more meaningful and accurate.

151. Susan Kirby, yoga teacher, Caro, MI says:

Very simple and useful techniques. Thank you!

152. Colleen Johnston, LCSWR Hall, NY says:

I’m an EMDR trained therapist and agree whole-heartedly that the Body Keeps the Score! I’ve recently been trained in an EMDR protocol to healing physical body pain using EMDR. I’ve had tremendous results. The first step is having the person visualize what the pain actually looks like…an image. I think that coincides with Peter’s container idea. It contains the pain in a way. Thank you for your work and I am sharing with my patients!

153. Nancia Shawver, Psychologist, Chicago, IL says:

Thank you for these simple yet valuable tools.

154. Nicky Leach, BCST, Santa Fe, NM says:

I’m a biodynamic craniosacral therapist and did my training in Boulder, Colorado, not far from Peter Levine’s location. Somatic Experiencing was woven throughout the two-year course and has been incredibly effective for me, and for my clients, here in my practice in Santa Fe. The idea of the “container” – boundaries – is so important. The only issue I have with my clients is that these techniques are so simple (even a youngster can do them) that they forget to do them. The mind works overtime under stress, and tends to forget the simple embodiment approaches that work every time. When clients do remember these self-soothing techniques, they report that they were very successful. I count my work a success when the client has fully taken on board that they have the power to make these shifts themselves. Thanks for the video. It’s good to see Peter showing us how to do the techniques. It’s interesting that a video circulating from a pediatrician in Santa Monica in the last week shows him doing the arm-cross technique and creating a container for crying newborns. It was instantly recognizable.

155. Stephanie ford, NYC yoga teacher/therapist says:

I read your books early in my 27 year teaching profession and it changes my practice
    It literally shook it up!

156. Rita Letsos LADC Duluth MN says:

Very helpful presentation. I recently began yoga teacher training and in our meditation practice we use the hands on body, beginning with one hand on lower belly the oher on upper stomach, breath, move lower hand to chest and upper hand to throat, breath, and then lower hand to forehead and breath. I have recently begun using kinetic exercises in group therapy and recommend for clients to explore EFT. Thank you for the examples.

157. Susan Purnell, Mft, 7& Certified Integral, Calif. Coach says:

Practical and important tools to pass on others, not just clients, but family and friends – especially in the wake the recent terrorist attacks, including the one in the near by city of San Bernardino.

158. Marianne Seeber, psychotherapist, Brookfield, CT says:

I love these techniques! Teaching them to clients, and encouraging them to use them anytime and anywhere….empowering! Thank you!

159. Alexis Donato, MFT, San Jose, CA says:

Valuable simple to use for all my clients in private practice. I wonder how effective these would be even with clients who don’t suffer from trauma– but more anxiety related issues. Thanks for posting!

160. Rev. Jenny Howard, Minister, Atlanta GA says:

Simple and effective. Helpful in pastoral care.

161. KMS psychologist USA says:

Will be sharing with my pts. Thank you. Please do send transcript.

162. Jen, C&A Psychiatrist, PA, USA says:

Thanks very much for sharing! I run an inpatient adult behavioral health unit as well as a child & adolescent partial hospital program. In addition, I see people on an outpatient basis as well. In each setting, I see people with all levels of trauma who have a difficult time regulating emotional responses and these simple yet powerful techniques are somethings that I can show them in the hospital, clinic or office settings that have the potential to offer a lot of support.

163. Kathy, EFT practitioner, Florida says:

The self-care tools make a lot of sense. Thank you.

164. jessica says:

powerful words

165. Monica, therapist, Minnesota says:

Excellent, thanks. Simple, effective strategies that I can share with my clients, especially those engaged in EMDR work and familiar with bilateral stimulation.

166. Ethel Moore, PCC, Dayton OH says:

I liked the concept of thinking of the body as a container…It helps one understand that it is our container, and we need to make good choices for our containers.

167. Maria, psychologist, Armidale Australia says:

Great thanks for the methods

168. Maria, psychologist, Armidale Australia says:

Great

169. Ramona, CranioSacral Therapist, Toronto, Ontario Canada says:

Thank you for these techniques. I do SomatoEmotional Release work with my clients, many of whom have experienced trauma. These will be simple self care tools I can provide for them.

170. kim Tucker, MSW, RSW, Saskatoon, SK says:

I integrate somatic work with most of my clients (my training is in self-regulation therapy, not SE) and I find it a really effective way to shift energy and help clients move through trauma residue and toward healing.

These two techniques are simple and feel like they will be useful. I will bring them into the group I’m doing this afternoon!
    Thanks for that.

171. Amy Brown, LMHC Albuquerque, NM says:

Thank you for this video. I will incorporate this into my own individual sessions and the trauma sensitive yoga group I lead.

172. Didem says:

I am a Somatic Experiencing Practitioner. Thank you for sharing these simple and effective techniques with us in a very easy way. I will share these with therapists working in the field with survivors of the recent tragedy in Ankara, Turkey. I am open to hear more techniques such as these. Thank you.

173. Agustín, psycologist, Spain says:

Thanks for the ideas…

174. Wendy Klason, Holistic Counsellor, Victoria, Australia says:

Excellent, simple ideas that I’m sure many people will use easily, and remember to. Thank you.

175. Katherine, LCSW Illinois says:

love the simplicity of the techniques. Love to give clients the gift of containment. Thank you Dr. Levine for all you do!!!

176. Colette Pelletier says:

Thanks again. Always so informative. I have been practicing these techniques already with clients after reading Peter Levine’s book In an Unspoken Voice. They were beneficial for clients for the most part.

177. Karinda Rousseau license drug and alcohol counselor marriage and family therapist intern Las Vegas Nevada United States of America says:

I love the techniques I will use them over and over again thank you very very much !!!

178. Sandy, social worker, canada says:

Thank you for the practical strategies, they are simple and effective.

179. Marusia Canada M.S.W./R.S.W. says:

Thank you for these practical and easy to apply strategies. I will definitely share with clients.

180. Julie, CounselirUS says:

I have been following Peter Levine work on trauma for a while, and found that it is a truly encompassing work in the sense of integrating the body into the complexity of the trauma equation. It brings needed light (and life) to the body and its deep realities…

181. Ella Risi Psychotherapist UK says:

Wondering what underpins if the hand on head , upper chest and lower body intervention
    Regards
    Ella

182. Javier Lamora Badia. Psycologist- Spain says:

Thank you very much for these practical tips. I work with traumatized kids using EMDR. I feel that these video provide some somatic strategis which combines very well with EMDR.

183. Linda Licensed Therapist New Mexico, USA says:

I just ran across this video today. I found it very informative and useful. I work with young children thru adolescents who have been traumatized. I believe these exercises will be a great addition when working with this population. My young clients will find these activities fun and easy to use. And when the child begins to have problems at home or school, these are tools which an adult can participate in to support the child. Finally, my child clients will experience a sense of control over their body, one they can provide for themselves. I really enjoyed this video.
    And now I am interested to learn more about Somatic Therapy. Will have to find out where its taught. Thanks so much.

184. Dr Clare Chapman Psychiatrist Australia says:

Thank you for these body techniques.

185. Eileen LCPC Chicago, IL says:

I plan on using these techniques with clients, as they make intuitive sense to me. Thank you for sharing.

186. Jill, Energy Practioner, US says:

Thanks for sharing this therapeutic information. It is amazing to learn the science behind what most knew yt? To do intuitively as children.

187. Téo J. van der Weele, RK Deacon, Tulln, Austria says:

Thanks a lot!

188. Ineke Rienks, Psychologist, the Netherlands says:

Very useful exercises! Simple to do. Thank you.

189. MJ, Psychologist, NY says:

Thank you. These tools are helpful for resourcing patients.

190. RF, trauma patient, Colorado says:

This is helpful for me, thank you. I have been in active trauma therapy for several years now, and have seen major shifts. I regularly send content from you to my therapist, since this is her specialty.

As an educated and highly intelligent person, I stumbled across your series and receive these emails, and most of what I investigate is interesting and helpful to me despite not being a professional. I would love to access your free content more easily, instead of going through your click-baity, cumbersome process each time. This smarmy manner of garnering click-throughs is far beneath the level of your purpose, and I am getting tired of it (and can see I’m not alone). Perhaps you need to offer a one-time tiered registration process–the free one for people unwilling to pay for things, and a paid one for those who will pay. Then, when emails go out, the site automatically recognizes the already-registered user when they click through. It’s not that hard–the technology is there. You can’t reach or help anyone if users (both professional and lay-people) are fed up with your clickbait and just bail on your organization.

• CJ says:

Not a bad idea …

191. Rebecca Rosenblat, Registered Psychotherapist, Toronto, Canada says:

This was really helpful, because I often have clients show progress and mention how safe they feel when in session, but then they fall apart on their own.

192. Connie engels says:

Very helpful adjunct to use with breath ing technique and cognitive,work to get more control over anxious feelings. Will try with a client currently who had a trauma on a plane and gets extremely anxious when flying for his job.

193. Carolyn O'Brien, Ph.D.,Mobile, AL says:

Thank you for this. I think it will be very helpful for one special client I have with severe PTSD.

194. Bonnie Olson Mind Body Coach says:

Good tools for clients to reconnect with self and boundary. Thanks!

195. William Wallin, M.D. says:

Seems like a type of variation on the Vipassana technique.

196. Gaye, Psychotherapist, California says:

Thank you so much for the simple, yet profound techniques.

197. cat says:

Thank you so much for sharing Peter Levine’s wisdom with us.

198. AJ, Art Psychotherapist, London says:

Thank you for these techniques which will be invaluable when helping clients to feel settled and contained.

199. Rose, Psychotherapist, UK says:

Thank you for these valuable techniques for self soothing and self regulating which help develop and strengthen the sense of a safe container with boundaries.

200. Madeleine, Seattle, WA says:

i am a parent of a traumatized boy and Peter Lavine described exactly the way he feels about boundaries and his body. I really appreciate these tools and can’t wait to teach them to him!

Please Leave A Comment