Peter Levine Free Report Confirmed Page

Two Simple Techniques Your Patients Can Use to Feel Safe (Even When They Are Not in Your Office)

1278 comments so far - add yours!

Please Leave A Comment

1,278 Comments

1. Sandy, psychotherapist ct says:

Great tools to help ground the mind in the present where one has access to inner resources and integration.

2. Denice Keepin, Psychotherapist, Seattle, WA says:

Very helpful….just what I needed to offer to a client who just started having intrusive traumatic memories. Thank you!

3. Wilma Meijer ex-yogateacher ,Utrecht,The Netherlands says:

I found these exercises wonderful very soothing. Thank you

4. kate says:

The two highlighted body postures are calming and soothing. When combined with intentional focus on breath and clearing our minds (“All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well” -St. Julian of Norwich) the effects are immediate and remarkable.

5. Julianne. Retired. Council Volunteer & Student. says:

Q. Cont’d. He suffered a bleed on the brain & post traumatic amnesia with resultant memory loss and brain injury about two years ago. The panic attacks are quite debilitating. Xanax has now been taken off the market here and he has been put on a similar brand. The doctors are trying to reduce his prescription, but when he runs out he is a mess. He is convinced that because a drug caused his panic attacks they cannot be cured other than by drugs. Do you have any suggestions on how he would get off medication and treat the panic attacks successfully?

6. Julianne. Retired. Council Volunteer & Student. says:

If found this video to be very informative and would love a copy of the transcript.
    If l may l would like to ask a question. A friend of mine was put on prozac 10 years ago, but went off it because it gave him panic attacks. The doctors then put him on xanax for the panic attacks, which he has now been on for ten years, plus he drinks heavily.

7. Louise poet Sarasota says:

Great techniques that I can see will be very helpful to myself, grandson and those I work with!! Thank you for this!!

8. kaleo, therapist, santa cruz, ca usa says:

Very useful and helpful, esp. like the idea and felt sense of using the body as a container of emotions

9. Patricia Hagarty - Canada, Psychologist. says:

Thanks for these reminders. I use them myself and find them comforting and safe within myself. I am not sure how this can be transferred to environmental safety other than using positive coping statements. Any ideas out there!! I like the idea of the body being the “container” as well.

10. Teresa, LCSW,BCD, Traumatologist NJ says:

Thank you for the easy to use and teach skills to help traumatized people, including war veterans. An easy to remember, portable technique to self soothe and provide both body and mind a way to regain a sense of safety.

11. Renee, LCSW Reno, NV says:

I found the techniques to be very helpful but also the explanation of why it’s important to teach them to patients, they need practical ways of dealing with their emotions and responses when they leave our office.

12. Sharon, LCSW, Fairfax, VA says:

I value techniques such as demonstrated by Dr. Levine. They are such wonderful tools that clients can use in self-care and which take the trauma out of the words and into the body, making a place for grounding and hope.

Thanks.

13. Mary Coyne, LMFT, Ventura/CA says:

Thank you very much for the reminder of how important somatic techniques are in trauma or distress. I work with all ages and such simple techniques are amazingly easy to teach and are effective. My goal is to teach clients whatever they can take with them on their journey and thus, work myself out of a job!

14. Gunilla Hamne, Trauma Therapist and TRainer, Sweden/Rwanda says:

Thank you so much for sharing and confirming these simple and powerful techniques. Great job! It is very soothing indeed.
    We train a lot of traumatized people in conflict and post conflict areas with similar techniques. We use a version of tapping that we call Trauma Tapping Technique/TTT, breathing exercises (Alpha-Theta breathing), Head holding/TAT (Tapas Acupressure Technique (like what Peter did but one hand on the forehead and the other on the back of the head.), Do-In – self clapping massage for the whole body, and other kind of massage.
    If you like to check pls visit the website: peacefulheart.se

Best greetings! Grateful for this forum.

15. basya social worker nj says:

Thank you abdominal breathing for 10 breathes is also helpful

16. rula scoville rn daly city calif says:

helped to calm and center an upset patient

17. Stephanie Alvarez, LAMFT, LPC, NCC, Boise ID says:

Thank you for the specific interventions to be able to use!

18. Cat Cunningham, FEFT Practioner, Reno, NV says:

The concept of the container…want to learn more.

Thank you for the video.

Cheers…PEACE..

19. Karmen A. Grech, LPCYpsilanti, MI, USA says:

Karmen A. Grech, LPCYpsilanti, MI, USA says:

I have used the technique of putting one hand on the chest, and freeing the air going in and the air going out, describing to themselves what they feel as they focus to describe the actual movement and simultaneous feelings. I then ask the client to focus on this action in the ‘here and now’. This makes the client realize that his whole being is living in the here and now. And since : “I am breathing in the here and now, whatever trauma I went through I did survive it”. I have taught my clients to then use the hand they write with, to cross it across their chest and place the hand on the opposite shoulder, give themselves a pat on their shoulder and simultaneously say, “I did survive the trauma, no matter how bad it was” and then continue saying “Now if I accept myself in the here and how, what decision do I need to do to continue feeling good about myself?”. Here, utilizing the thinking process the client would then think of a plan to follow in order to stay as safe as possible and to continue feeling good about ‘myself’,”. Using this process of the here and now, with mindfulness, the person is self- asserting, not reacting to the past but focusing on living in the moment and to focus on the breathing in and out of the moment, not the trauma of the past.

20. Karmen A. Grech, LPCYpsilanti, MI, USA says:

I have used the technique of putting one hand on the chest, and freeing the air going ing and the air going out, describing to themselves what they feel as they focus to describe the actual movement and simultaneous feelings. I then ask the client to focus on this action in the ‘here and now’. This makes the client realize that his whole being is living in the here and now. And since : I am breathing in the here and now, whatever trauma I went through I did survive is. I have thought my clients to then use the hand they write with, to cross it across their chest and place the hand on the opposite shoulder, give themselves a pat on their shoulder and simultaneously say, I did survive the trauma, no matter how bad it was and now if I accept myself in the here and how, what decision do I need to do to continue feeling good about myself. Here, utilizing the thinking process they would then think of a plan to follow in order to stay as safe as possible and to continue feeling good about myself” Using this process of the here and now, with mindfulness, the person is self asserting not to reacting to the past but focusing on living in the moment and to focus on the breathing in and out of the moment, not the trauma of the past.

21. Mark Westrate, Therapist, Holland/Grand Rapids, Michigan says:

Having just finished the 9 month on line training with Dr. Bessel van der Kolk I have become acutely aware if how trauma impacts my client’s and their bodies. Having been exposed to Peter Levine’s work through Bessel’s book, “The Body Keeps The Score”, I become excited to learn and apply more about Dr. Levine’s approach. The short video was forwarded to my by an adolescent client. I will use it with clients tomorrow. Also found many of the comments below to be helpful. Thanks to all. Mark

22. Rochelle Dawson Counsellor Australia says:

Simple techniques that reminds us of the containment within a person’s own body. thank Peter.

23. jeanine sullivan,social worker(LCSW,LADC) in Farmington, Ct. says:

it reawakened my awareness of how important it is for us know and use our body consciously as we live our day.

24. Karliese Greiner-Laurie, LCSW, Psychotherapist, NY, Ny says:

Wonderful reminder of our own easily accessible resources!

25. Nina Martins, Supervisor Expressive Arts Therapy says:

simple and effective – and trustworthy

26. Zena, Clinical Psychologist, South Africa says:

Thanks for this brief but informative video. I will certainly practice these techniques with my clients, and also use them on myself. They work!

27. Phil Warren Prof Emeritus, psych&music, BC Canada says:

I have developed a very simple DIY protocol using some of the same approaches. It uses a posture. The impact of postures , gestures, movements etc. on psychological behaviours/content is quite fascinating. Contact me if interested at phillip_warren@telus.net.

28. Elisabeth Gold, physician, Nova Scotia, Canada says:

Very helpful already

29. lois Hare ND, Canada says:

I found the exercises deeply relaxing and exquisitely simple

30. Lisa, Therapist, Colorado says:

Thank you for the resource! I look forward to using these techniques with clients.

31. Sophia Van Vuuren R.Psych, Vancouver CA says:

Peter and Ruth,
    Thank you for you amazing work Peter!!! Your work has inspired me all over again as a Psychologist and I am so thrilled about my patients progress in recovering from Trauma and challenging life experiences.
    All the best to you!! Sophia

32. Sundra, PLPC,NCC, Louisiana says:

This short segment was powerful in proviiding easy to remember, helpful tools for clients. I performed the techniques on myself as I watched the video and could feel the soothing nature of these techniques. I look forward to sharing these with clients

33. Marge Greene. LMSW, Ann Arbor, MI says:

I teach rectangle breathing- inhale, 2,3,4 (visualize going up left side of rectangle);
    hold 2,3,4 (Visualize going across top of rectangle); exhale 2,3,4 (down right side);
    Hold 2,3,4 (across bottom).

34. Carolyn Elias, Sexologist, Psychotherapist, Montreal, Canada says:

I love using body-oriented techniques, for my clients and self. I already use the whole body tapping, but didn’t know about the first one presented by Dr Levine, which I already love ! Also, someone commented about adding a reassuring mantra while doing these – something I will definitely try with my sexually abused clients. I’m also keen about using ropes to draw out boundaries, especially while working abuse and attachment issues with couples.

35. Barbara Fox, LPC Chicago says:

Thank you for these techniques. I am going to try them with my clients.

36. Colleen says:

Thanks for sharing the techniques. I know they will be very helpful in my work.

37. elena says:

Peter, I so like these somatic holding techniques….the heart and underarm one is soothing and grounding.
    I want to add a couple to your list–

One I use (due to head trauma) is simply holding my skull *together*
    with two hands wherever it hurts.

Another is placing my hands gently over my eyes–like the Bates method.

38. Brian, Medical Psychotherapist, Toronto says:

Taking in this video here now Peter, I recall how two to three decades ago, I simply “stumbled upon” some similar ways of connecting to myself, and to my patients, and my patients to themselves, all so naturally, and nearly seamlessly at the time, when it was just an intuitive hunch or suggestion I’d made, sometimes stemming from my own well of desperation, in the midst of being so very effected by the fears and pain of my own disabling emotions, and the emotions of other(s) before me, that led me to find some of these gentle , yet powerful tools. Training with various colleagues helped me to appreciate how you and others have systematically applied these tools in helping some of our most vulnerable patients. It feels so good to be part of a profession that emphasizes effective ways to help reestablish our natural healing tendencies. I’ll never forget the experience of when my now deceased mentor, Dr. Ralph Biermann, placed his very wonderfully warm, strong, old hand over my own heart, suggesting I simply slow down and feel what’s to be felt—inside. We both wept, reflected, rhythmically breathed, and then regulated. Strength emerged!! Thank you for systematically and intuitively applying these simple, yet most creative ways of providing support to our patients.

39. Lorena Licuta, Psychoterapist, Director of Psychodrama, Bucharest, Romania says:

Thank you for the clear and high suggestive exposure. I use this kind of self containing but also the outer containing technics as the warming up exercises in psychodrama groups. Is quite amazing to see how easy the shy, fear beginners are integrated in the group as a result of increasing the consciousness about their own boundaries. Or, the importance of finding a real safe place inside their memories and sharing their experience with the same-others.

40. Cheri Soelberg , CBP, Utah says:

These will be useful for the women I work with in my practice. Very soothing. Thank you.

41. Charles Whitaker, clinical hypnohterapist says:

Thanks for this.

I wonder about the use of ratio breathing.

42. Tzila Ben Nachum, Clinical Psychologist Tel Aviv says:

Thank you for sharing the useful simple technic . I have used some of it in my clinical work, finding the s.e. ideas so helpful and practical for so many clients

43. Margaret Watson, Trauma survivor and lifecoach,MI says:

This is truly, wonderful. Just talking with a local Marine who is part of a program to work with trauma survivors last night about setting up groups for PTSD victims, so desperately needed. I am also part of a PTSD support group for women sponsored here in Detroit. I would love to pass this information on to the counselor who runs the group and works with individual patients. I am planning to contact her and ask if she is familiar with Dr. Levine’s work thank you for this information. Many blessings to you! Margaret Watson

44. Susan, MD, Canada says:

Thank-you for sharing these useful techniques.

45. Jacqueline Schweizer, Polarity/SE Therapist Basel/Switzerland says:

I use these tools often with my clients and it is really working well well Helping them also in their restlessness and fier.
    Thank you to public this video.

46. Jennifer Smock, LCSW Los Angeles CA says:

Great example of soothing techniques.

47. Ellen, Elementary School Counselor, AZ says:

I will be interested in trying these techniques with children of all ages that I work with. Thank you.

48. Judith psychologist from Ottawa Canada says:

As a body/emotions – centered therapist and practitioner of Energy Psychology I am delighted to see this video.
    Thank- you

49. Patty Behrens, LMFT Fresno, CA says:

Great resource and simple to be used anywhere. Thank you.

50. Naomi Silverstone, DSW, LCSW - Social Worker, SLC, UT says:

Thank you, Ruth! I love that the body – oriented techniques are being shared and validated more and more. They work for so many clients, not to mention for me!

Good to see you, Peter! And great to remember our teacher Dick Olney and how you have expanded upon and taken these healing practices to so many people.

Thank you both.

51. Jo, Therapist, NYC says:

Loved what you said about the container. Excited to try these techniques with patients.

52. Kathy, Counselor, TX says:

Very useful and simple technique that I want to try with my clients

53. Concetta says:

Touches very clearly on the limits of the psychotherapeutic relationshiop and the importance of a partnership approach.

54. Peter, Nurse, Bristol, UK says:

Thank you for sharing these techniques. Right now I will use them for myself as an illness has returned which I had 20 years ago which made me very sick and I feel anxious the same will happen again this time. The illness I believe is triggered by the body and mind, so an infection in the body and stress in the mind which has a profound impact on me. Thank you for sharing these. Pete

55. Katherine, Psychologist, Sydney says:

Thank you for sharing body orienting techniques that can be easily practiced both in private and public. “The body is the container” and remembering the boundaries of the body are such useful and illustrative concepts that I’ve found are eagerly taken on board by traumatised clients.

56. H.R. Therapist USA says:

Great simple techniques. I will offer them to my clients. I felt better on trying them out too.

57. Sandra Figueroa-Sosa, researcher, sistemic family therapy, Mexico City says:

Some of the postions and actions that Dr. Levine shared with us, not so surprisingly come almost naturally! What I did must appreciate was his emphasis on boundaries, broken boundaries, and their holes… I like empowering people so much, that these resources surely be in my battery. Thanks a lot!

58. Mary, Pastoral Minister, Ohio says:

Thank you for your demonstration of the techniques. They have the potential to offer comfort.

59. Julia Los Angeles CA says:

I could feel my body stabilizing as I tried the techniques during the video. Thanks.

60. PC Leong, Therapist, Canada says:

Love the easy applicability of the tools, and the idea behind guiding individuals to be able to create their own “island of safety.”

61. Harry, physician psychotherapist, Toronto, Canada says:

Thank you for sharing this video with Peter, NICABM. The techniques are so useful, and I hope they will become more universally accessible thanks to presentations like this one.

62. Gina, Mental Health Therapist, Alberta, Canada says:

This is an interesting concept and I appreciate the practical strategies. It makes sense. I am going to trial them myself and with patients. Thank you.

63. Ria,shiatsutherapeute, Belgium says:

These tools will be very usefull for the clients to do on their own.

64. Kat, Social Worker, WA says:

Very practical techniques. Simple and powerful.

65. kimberly~ portland maine says:

Thank you. This sounds very much like Donna Eden’s energy medicine techniques.

66. Lore, healing practitioner, Germany says:

Thank you. I felt like hugging my inner child and building strong boundaries for lasting safety.

67. Kavita Byrd says:

Thank you so much, these techniques are so simple and effective. Clients often ask how they can soothe themselves outside of sessions, so I am very happy to be able to offer them these easy techniques.

68. Lily in Sydney says:

These techniques are very handy to have and easy to do and remember, even for children!

Many thanks Ruth and Peter

69. David Hignett, Social Worker and Therapist, Yorkshire, UK says:

Obviously I use Tapping abundantly. I love the techniques here of simply holding ………….

70. Gioia, Somatic Therapist, Australia says:

These are great, simple techniques and a wonderful way to finish a session. I also use soft, squishy balls for people to roll or rub against while seated or using the surface of wall or floor. While this is not as direct as connection through hand touch, for some clients who are reluctant to directly touch themselves, this can be a first safe step. All aid in creating a sense of boundary and ‘me-ness’.

71. Brigid Ryan MFT, Santa Cruz CA says:

Thank you, I will use these techniques with clients right away to create container and safety. I know how powerful simple somatic techniques can be.

72. Clea McIlraith. Dramatherapist.London says:

calming and soothing. I work with adolescents and I think these techniques will be very accessible for them, thankyou.

73. Mattie Ho, counsellor, australia says:

Easy to apply and learn and remember. Short and sweet. Thank you!

74. Lyn, SWK, NSW Australia says:

Thank you for those tools, I will certainly pass them on to the traumatised adults and children I work with. I have also used right hand on left shoulder and left hand on right shoulder, like a self hug, to help people gain a sense of safety within themselves.
    Great stuff !!!! Thanks again.

75. Maree says:

Amazing techniques that aren’t too difficult to learn for clients. Will use with clients today! Thank you.

76. Carmel Hall. Reiki healer, Australia says:

Carmel, Reiki healer,
    Thank you for sharing these simple techniques for self help, great to know.

77. Sandra, Reiki Master Toronto Canada says:

Thank you for the techniques and I will share them with my clients

78. Lin, massage therapist, Atchison, KS says:

thank you for these two techniques. I have studied with Donna Eden and so am familiar with the benefits of these hand positions as well. They work great! They are wonderful self help positions.

79. Maja Misic says:

Thank you for the techniques. I will be using them in my practice.

80. Dr Brookes, registered nurse Canada says:

very interesting idea, thanks. nb

81. Debra, Craniosacral Therapist, Colorado says:

Thank you Peter for sharing these simple, effective techniques. I will be offering them to my clients.

82. Patricia, psychotherapist, Ohio says:

I loved this coping skill. I work with many traumatized adolescents and feel this will be helpful. Thank you so much.

83. larissa, nurse, wa says:

I use some of these techniques… thank you for sharing!

84. Birgit Nielsen, Kinesiologist, Denmark says:

Thank you. These techniques are easy to apply to my trauma work with my clients. I will share them with my students and colleagues.

85. JL, professionsl counselor,Union, NE says:

Thank you.. I have found tapping to be helpful for some clients. Will try these techniques as well

86. Dr. Michuda says:

Sounds similar to Sensory Integration techniques. Has any research been done to demonstrate physiological changes in heart rate, decrease cortisol or increases in beneficial neurotransmitters such as serotonin and dopamine? Touch therapy/massage and joint compression in Sensory Integration are theorized to result in these changes. The mind and the body are indeed connected for sure! What is in our thoughts is in our bodies!

87. Linda, Hypnotherspist, Newport Beach CA says:

I thank you for this valuable information. I have had body trauma for a week from a bad fall and didn’t realize how unsafe I gave felt.i tried your techniques as I watched the video and felt relief. Thank you for this great and timely information.

88. Hedy, Reiki Master, Maryland says:

A useful adjunct to tapping and grounding, thanks!

89. Jenny Kyng, Reg. Nurse/therapist, Australia says:

Great techniques; thanks. I will instruct my anxious/depressed and traumatised patients/clients in these methods. Will add to others I’ve learnt from watching Janina Fisher on YouTube.

90. Gilly, Counsellor says:

Brilliant thanks

91. Elizabeth Woodsmall, Tallahassee, FL says:

Thank you for these techniques. They helped me this morning. I am a ritual abuse/sex trafficking/mind control programming survivor. Although, I am about 90% healed, I still go through challenging times. Am in one now. My wonderful LCSW counselor who retired last year and gave me many tools. She also told me there was so much abuse, I would be triggered the rest of my life. I have found this to be true. So, I tried your techniques. They work. Moreover, they provide a physical comfort aspect in line with some of the cradling and trust teachings of Thich Nhat Hanh on anger and fear. An art therapist friend told me about Ruth Buczynski’s very helpful emails. Thank you.

92. Adrian Harris, Psychotherapist, Exeter, Devon says:

I love the simplicity of these techniques: easy to teach and easy to apply. I will certainly pass these on to my clients.

93. Michele Freeman, Licensed Professional Counselor, Bend, OR says:

Appreciate greatly the techniques I can start using with clients. Thank you.

94. Bernice Vergou. Remedial Therapist, Australia says:

Thank you, I found the video useful and will add these tips to ones I already use with clients.

Bernice Vergou

95. Lois LMFT USA says:

Thank you.I will use with my dissociative clients and anxious clients.

96. Nun Katherine Weston, LMHC, Indianapolis IN says:

Difficulty with sleep is an ongoing theme that clients bring to me. I often recommend deep, heart-focused breathing. Some use weighted sensory blankets. These tools will be useful to introduce to their “tool belts” and mine.

97. P. Clapp Eden Energy Practitioner says:

Thanks for this. I look forward to the transcript. We use many of these kinds of protocols in Eden Energy Medicine, and it’s very refreshing to see Dr. Levine using them, too.

98. Enza Psychologist, Australia says:

I think these execrises will service as excellent grounding techniques in therapy when I notice that my clients are feeling unsettled and disterssed. To provide clients with the opportunity to practice and experience the results of self soothing strategies in sessions, is great therapy! I love the body as a container metaphore, its very powerful!

Thank you Peter and Ruth!

99. Sara, Clinical Psychologist, New Zealand says:

Thank you for these helpful strategies.

100. Janice Skinner Psychotherapist & Movement/Yoga therapist Canada says:

Thank you Peter for your dedication and for bringing the body into trauma therapy! Coming to sense the body as container and developing ways to build inner resources through touch and being present with oneself is paramount.

101. Maria Ansett says:

Thanks again for passing on practical techniques that are simp,e to use and easy to share.

102. Donna Marlatte Personal Coach Canada says:

I Think these tools would be useful for wonder someone who is having an panic attack. What are your thoughts?

103. Rebecca, psychologist, Boston MA says:

These strategies will be helpful for many of my very anxious patients, not only those who have been traumatized. His emphasis on the importance of comforting, predictable physical touch is wonderful. Thank you Dr. Levine.

104. Glenda, counselor, Texas says:

Thank you for this. I do some similar things. This will add to my “toolbox.” I find with traumatized children, things like “bee breathing” and guided imagery are helpful. I like that you spoke of the individual needs of clients. There is no “one size fits all,” but rather an intervention that best serves the indivual. For some, it may be the one thing that for another doesn’t work. You were able to convey a curiosity, a sense of searching for the thing to serve the current client that I know your clients pick up on and feel safe with. Thank you.

105. Peta Jane, healer + EFT UK says:

I often recommend to place a hand on the forehead and the other at base of scull top of neck. this has a very calming effect.
    Many thanks for your recommendations and your description of container or boundaries.

106. Gloria. Psychologist. Australia says:

THANKYOU Peter for generously sharing two effective and practical self soothing techniques. I’ll be using these with clients for sure. I believe fostering personal responsibility is an important part of the therapeutic process and growth of the individual.
    THANKYOU Ruth for enabling learning yet again. I am grateful to you both.

107. Shirley King, Therapist/Healer, Ontario, Canada says:

I give recovery techniques and self regulating techniques to clients. Some are base on my own discernment and some old yogic techniques.

I find that obsessive thoughts and or feelings are best served by tapping K27 and then crossing arms and putting 4 fingers in opposite arm pit. This changes ECG’s of mind and emotions to calm and harmonize and come back to heart center.

I do the techniques that he showed and what was very good was the explaining of touching into body container.. feeling ones own boundaries again. I tap every day my head an limbs..chi gong but I was intrigued by the comment on squeezing the muscles (earth element). I am gong to experiment with that.

I will be helping client/teacher friends put together for school board recovery techniques in the fall..so I appreciated very much the commentary.

Shirley

108. Brenda Rasch, physical therapist, Knoxville, TN says:

I find that an awareness of the body and a strong sense of grounding, physical support, is helpful for almost everyone; but especially useful with clients with anxiety, trauma and pain syndromes.

109. Deborah Silvera PhD Huntington Beach, CA says:

I love simple and powerful tools such as these to aid in grounding clients, and helping them feel safe before they leave the office and to use in-between sessions.

110. Rebecca Johnston PhD Boston MA says:

Excellent ideas, very helpful clinically with very anxious patients, whether or not they have been traumatized.

111. Betsy Mills, LPC - Macon, GA says:

These are great and simple techniques for clients I see who are emergecy responders (e.g.: paramedics, firefighters, news jouralists). And good for me to do as a counslor in between sessions!

112. Stephen Mental Health Nurse / Social Worker says:

Excellent but simple technique that I can use and do use working with the adolescence student who presents in a traumatised state. These techniques certainly help the client re-establish sense of safety within the self. I look forward to receiving the transcript

113. jill,LPC oregon says:

I will be trying these techniques with a client who fears an upcoming meeting, she is worried about flashbacks, this should help her to feel more in control.

114. Debby Coates, Little Rock, AR says:

I volunteer in an elementary school with Kindergarteners and First Graders. I am looking forward to teaching them both of these techniques this school year. I have tried some simple meditation and mindfulness exercises with them in the past, yet I think these two exercises will be something the teachers can integrate into their daily schedules with the children after I teach them the first time. Thank you so much for sharing these with us!!

115. raja says:

Thank you for these powerful yet simple technics

116. Mary Ann, artist in Virginia says:

Very helpful! Thank you for editing your interview with Peter Levine into digestible and useful mini-segments.

117. Kathleen, Licensed Professional Counselor, Chesterfield, MI says:

These a simple yet highly useful tools that are both easy for the client to learn and use on their own to self soothe and down regulate their undesired physiological and emotional responses. Also loved hearing Energy Psychology being referenced as an additional tool!

118. Eric Hartley, therapist, Columbia, SC says:

Helpful. Seems so simple and yet makes perfect sense – helping the client have a sense of her boundaries, her container. Also, I imagine, helping with a sense of grounding.

119. Glynes Mew ton Change Therapist London UK says:

Interesting and informative. I often use Donna’s Edens Techniques or more often than not ‘Havening’ (or as its really called depotentiation of the Amygdala) with clients who have suffered trauma x

120. Carolyn burnett says:

Hi Ruth
    I enjoy these helpful insights into working with clients unique experience of trauma.

I think that what I am noticing about my work is that each client brings a unique experience, history and attachment process to how they respond to their trauma.
    And so they also respond very differently to these resources that are helpfully described by Peter Levine and others. What I am trying to focus on, which isn’t always easy when I am trying hard to be helpful, is also noticing what does work to regulate and what arouses the clients anxiety fear or resistance and where we are in our therapeutic relationship when these are introduced. This really varies with each client I see and may sound obvious but I have mistimed these.

Another point I wanted to make in reflecting on these exercises, linked to the points above , is that the more of these exercises we know about , the more flexible and adaptable we can be with our clients I think.
    Please keep this going, I love these videos.
    Best wishes Carolyn in Eastbourne.

121. kathy scotland UK says:

I was so pleased to hear tapping suggested as a tool

122. Patsy Solanki NLP coach Hastings, UK says:

I love these; for elegance and accessibility. I use EFT (tapping) and Jin shin jyutisu techniques (eg. holding the thumb) with clients and share these for them to build their toolboxes. We build an SOS or first aid box together to go to in times of trauma and overwhelm so as to become self reliant.
    Isn’t it beautiful that we do so much of this body holding anyway, we’re just unaware why we do it!
    Thanks for these, they’re valuable indeed x

123. Nancy Dimond, Life Coach, Westfield, IN says:

Thank you! I believe these simple movements could be calming to individuals who have social anxiety. You are generous to share your knowledge and thoughts.

124. Josie - Grandmother - Ireland says:

Thank you Ruth and Peter and all those who have left their comments. My healing journey in life has gone from the head to the body, manifesting through my choice of studies . Reading so many comments it comes to me: these tools can be shared in schools, hospitals, amongst friends and neighbours and I am reminded to pass this on when I may listen to someone’s who is upset, lonely etc. We all experience moments of loneliness, a lack of touch, upsetment etc. I’m pleased to read that many who replied said they would do it for themselves first, especially in the caring professions we need to self-care as well. As some have expressed: I too have been studying and working with Donna Eden’s Energy Medicine. I do recognize some elements in Peter’s holds. Thanks for your very simple, very clear teachings Peter and Ruth for sharing this. I look forward to being able to your download.

125. Jennifer. Psychologist, Melbourne Australia says:

Great suggestions to help my most anxious and traumatised clients between sessions.

126. Carolina, therapist, Spain says:

Nice and soothing tools. Thank you. Ruth’s last question was to share other techniques. Power breathing, (combat breathing), heart coherence techniques, brain training, f.e. in a difficult situation list 5-7 things to be thankful for, since the brain cannot focus on the bad and the good at the same time.

127. Carolyn k Cornish Teacher Morin Heights Qc Canada says:

I can see how these techniques could be of value to some of my special needs students. Thank you.

128. Stephanie New Zealand says:

Thank you for these powerful and so simple techniques.

129. Helen Psychologist Australia says:

These techniques seem so simple and i believe they can be really effective I will offer them this week to some clients especially one who has sleep difficulties

Thank you Peter for your life’s work and to you Ruth you have sustained me for years with your kindness and generosity

130. Helen Psychologist Australia says:

this is so helpful and I will be offering it to a number of clients this week The suggestion that it can assist someone to sleep was very useful thank you Peter and Ruth

131. Katina clinical hypnotherapist says:

Thank you. So important to share techniques to empower people in their ability to self soothe

132. Kathleen Australia says:

These two physical gestures will be great to add the ones i teach in the Mindful Self-compassion course. Thank you for sharing

133. Leatrice, Psychologist, Sydney says:

Thank you for these powerful yet simple techniques.

134. Becky, therapist, California says:

I often teach EFT, and frequently do EMDR and somatic work with clients. These tools presented are also wonderful simple techniques to help them experience greater containment on their own. Thanks!

135. Nancy Sill, Art Therapist/Counselor, Retired says:

Thank you so much for these techniques. They are very soothing.

136. Geralyn McDowell, chaplain, Troy, NY says:

Thank you. These are effective and easily shared techniques.

137. Adelaide, Australia says:

I found this very interesting as I have done a Brain Gym Course in Kinesiology and these exercises are almost the same and some of the Brain Gym exercises, which I use on a daily basis and which have helped me tremendously. And I will continue to use these exercises whenever I feel the need.

138. Dale Simons, USA says:

I tried both of the techniques, and found that there is a wonderful shift towards a feeling of safety. I wish to share this with my daughter who was sexually abused as a child and when coping with things, she automatically disassociated from it.

139. Tamara, clinical therapist Casper Wyoming says:

Amazing! I will start sharing these techniques with acute inpatient adolescents today!

140. Sharon Weaver, RN says:

These are great self soothing techniques! I’ve used the tapping and hugging before and an accupressure massage therapist has shown me the forehead/chest and abd touch. Thanks for spreading the awareness!

141. Carmen, says:

Most useful techniquesm I’ll be sharing them with my colleagues.

142. Suzanne Tribe, Music Therapist, NY, NY says:

Thank you! These techniques are powerful in connecting to our body as a container, and in a safe way. Very useful and can be integrated to my work as a music therapist. Thanks again!

143. Judy RN BN Calgary Alberta says:

I found these practices so comforting. Thank you

144. Judy, APRN, CT, USA says:

I recommend gentle Yoga for all my clients with trauma histories. Since a lecture with Bessel Van Der Kolk in which he stressed the importance of somatic soothing through yoga; ideally gentle and restorative yoga. It really helps reconnect and integrate, self-soothes and reinforces the safety of the container. I thank Pam Ogden, Peter Levine and Bessel Van Der Kolk for transforming the field of trauma therapy.

145. Antonella, psychotherapist, Milan, Italy says:

In my work with traumatized patients I use a lot of body-mind techniques, especially EFT, EMDR, Donna Eden’s Energy Medicine, Sensorimotor Psychotherapy. I really appreciate Dr. Levine’s tools. Thank you for sharing.

146. Mudita Maclurcan, MindBody Therapist 4 Cancer, NSW, Austraia says:

It was interesting that I found quite a difference between the two techniques outlined by Peter. As a tapping practitioner as well, I think this demonstrates
    not only individual differences but also that sometime one technique maybe more effective than another one and then this may change.
    So I think it’s important to give the client a toolbox of these techniques, so they can use whichever ones feels more appropriate for them at that moment/time.

147. Ally, Canada says:

Thank you. Most helpful to facilitate a safe container.

148. Jackie, School Counselor, San Marcos, CA says:

Thanks so much. I often work with traumatized kids. This will be easy to teach and hopefully effective.

149. Sheila Henry, MFT in California says:

These are some great exercises. I will be demonstrating them in talks I give to audiences.

150. Barbara Danese says:

I have been doing EFT for many years, but I especially liked the techniques where it seems like you are hugging yourself. And the
    idea that you are setting boundary between you and the outside world that you are feeling traumatized by. I myself am slowly recovering
    from PTSD, so I am always looking for ways to help with my own anxiety. Thank you

151. Patti, Energy Coach, LMT Wilmington,De says:

These felt very calming. I use a lot of tapping and breathing techniques in my work.
    Thank you !

152. Marlene, Counselor, Canada says:

Many thanks for the great information and for the amazing work that you have done and continue to do in the area of trauma.

153. Mauricio, Brazil says:

As an organizational consultant, I sometimes find collective trauma and use some of these techniques. I would be curious to whether there are collectice tools to use for groups.
    Congrats on the great work you do.

154. Phyllis Brandoin, self helper, Juno Beach, FL says:

The ‘boundary’ concept and few techniques/postures each felt good.
    Easy to share with others — I am not a practitioner, but do have family and friends.
    Thank you.

155. Tra Holloway Boxer, MFT, Pleasant Hill, Ca. says:

I find it useful to give my clients simple easy tools which they can use to activate and support the body’s own healing wisdom, Thank you. Please send the transcript.

156. Lynne says:

These will be helpful to share with people in my workshops.

157. Liz physical therapy patient after trauma says:

It is amazing how some simple patterns, repeated in different situations can help establish a safer body sense. Thank you.

158. Kathleen Morgan Hughes says:

Thank you for sharing! Education is Key. I have PTSD and was misdiagnosed for 22 yrs . As a result the medication given in my 20s, it killed both my kidneys. The misdiagnosis is continually following me in records no matter how much I correct. I recently had a kidney transplant and the old diagnosis left me vulnerable to an abusive nurse 4 hours after surgery and no one would listen to me as they all had the old diagnosis in charts. I was alone in the hospital and an endless chain of events took place. I was then left with a Transplant Coordinator who was unprofessional using my false diagnosis to cover her mistakes and attempt to ruin my 5 year fantastic rapport I had with the doctors and Pre Transplant coordinators. I have been ill all year with severe complications and left in this hospital for 3 months. It took me 8 months before getting copy of the records and proving myself correct. In the meantime, I was needlessly triggered throughout, as losing my kidneys to this false diagnosis was a trauma all of its own. The Transplant was a major traumatic surgery and my feat was waking up without any PTSD symptoms until left vulnerable with abusive personnel. These techniques I wish I knew about then, however thanks to your video I now have tools to practice and help me going forward. I felt unsafe the entire year, yet fought my way through. My safety came when I was listened to more than 2 minutes and I proved the corrected diagnosis in their records they did not have flagged. I was then able to get a new coordinator. This video offers protection when you are alone surrounded by strangers who do not care enough to want to know your condition.

159. Kathryn Cruze, LMHC Auburn, WA says:

This video will be extremely useful to me in my practice to help clients ground themselves in their bodies and calm flight/fight reactions. Thank you so much!

160. Raceal McWhorter, MA, MFTI, Sherman Oaks, CA says:

I will demonstrate these techniques in my individual and group sessions with teenage residential clients in a substance abuse treatment facility. Many of the patients are victims of neglect, abuse, and community violence. The ability to self soothe is crucial to their recovery.

161. Dr. Malka Enker, Psychologist, Israel says:

I have been using Donna Eden’s Energy Medicine and I and my clients have found it very useful.
    I learned about Peter’s technique through Donna’s energy newsletter.
    Will be using it from now on

162. Catherine, Psychologist, Minnesota says:

I find body focused techniques incredibly helpful with clients. I appreciate the description of the body as a container. I will immediately begin suggesting these two “holds” to my clients and encourage them to notice the internal sensations.

163. Carol says:

Thank you ! It has been 3 years since the sudden death of my husband. I am moving forward and have used EFT , Yoga and other energy techniques. I AM GRATEFUL! For you sharing.

164. Diane, teacher, UK says:

Thank you for these techniques. I will certainly use them for myself and for others who need them. They seem so simple yet profound.

165. Suzanne Scurlock-Durana, CranioSacral therapist, Reston, VA says:

Thank you Peter for these simple, profound techniques for self-soothing. Touch is SUCH a powerful tool for healing the nervous system – self touch or touch by another caring individual in your family or circle of friends, or a trained bodyworker who knows how to modulate boundaries while providing this vital element to healing.

166. Jennifer Turney, LMHC, Tampa, FL says:

I will suggest these techniques to clients. Any thoughts on their effectiveness for those suffering with chronic pain, self esteem issues, and promoting mindfulness?

167. William Shea, MFT, Trauma Specialist, Portland, Me says:

Both examples are can produce wonders for children as well as adults. Would support client actively using 4 square breath or another breath during the exercise. Practice mindfulness !

168. Nina Martins, Supervisor Expressive Arts Therapy says:

I teach my patients Donna Eden’s energy therapy exercizes, and find both of them there too – and they are wonderfully efficient. The tip to explore how there is a link between the two hands were extra effective – so grateful about that.

169. Mary Morris, LPC intern Hibbing Minnesota says:

I will certainly try the first two techniques with my clients, I sense that these would work quick and so easy to remember. The clients container analogy makes so much sense and easy to explain to a client.

170. Kara, LPC-C, Ok, USA says:

Thankful for these techniques to teach; I will integrate with clients and use myself.

171. Paula Prohaska, Ph.D says:

Holding your hand over your heart where your higher self resides and repeating “All is well and I am safe.”

172. Jean Larsen, Emotion Code Practitioner, Canada says:

I have not yet suggested either of these techniques to any of my clients, but I did both on myself as I was following the video, and I was amazed at how much more relaxed. centred, whole and positive they made me feel. I can see that I will be using them at night on myself when I have problems sleeping or when I am anxious. And I will certainly be telling others about it. I already have in mind at least one client I will be suggesting it to. Thank you for sharing this.

173. Liesel, Registered Psychotherapist, Ottawa, ON, Canada says:

I tried the techniques myself and it is very grounding. Thank you!

174. Mary Coleman, Hypnotherapist, Ireland says:

These are great ideas and so simple! It is very helpful to have tools that clients can use when alone. I suggest using them on a regular basis so that they become second nature and an immediate response when needed. Thank you! Keep up the good work!

175. Joan Brackmann, psychotherapist, St. Louis MO says:

i love the simplicity of these techniques….thank you!

176. Marianne, musician says:

Thank you for these reassuring techniques. They are simple and I feel will be helpful. Before hearing this video, I was feeling stressed last night and unable to fall asleep. One little book about QiGong mentioned just rubbing your body, starting gently rubbing down the stomach area, then legs, knees etc. I began to experience a sense of very deep relaxation and well being which was unknown to me, and fell asleep ‘blissfully’. I did have a dream which expressed the stressful situation in a slightly funny and detached way, so I think a useful dream. The video I just watched gave me more ideas which could be used on the spur of the moment, and an explanation of the reassurance of feeling your body’s boundaries.
    Reading other comments below I would describe myself as a person who has difficulty with staying grounded when anxious, not easy for a musician…

177. Barbara, Germany says:

Very helpful tools for refugees coming from Syria being traumatized. These techniques can be explained avoiding language barriers.
    Thank you very much.

178. Alice, Psychotherapist Ireland says:

Very practical ways for clients to ‘contain’ themselves, simple and effective. a great tool to have, thank you.

179. Tina Asriel, Craniosacral Therapist, Zurich says:

Very useful, above all for clients who do not like tapping.

180. Helen, PSychologist, Queensland, Australai says:

Timely, for a particularly traumatised client, Thank you

181. Elizabeth, Spiritual Consultant-USA says:

Thank you for sharing the simplicity & comfort of these techniques.

182. Dawn Vincent, Social Worker,Melbourne, Australia says:

I tried both of these techniques with a client with PTSD yesterday and she found them very helpful. The client said that her head became heavy when holding her hand over her forehead and as I watched, her head moved down slowly to almost touch her chest. Afterwards she said she felt like she could go to sleep. I had noticed in previous sessions that she had sometimes been sitting in the chair hugging herself protectively. She said she felt safer that way, but was aware that it may not look very friendly and so she tried to keep her hands clasped together to stop doing this. I explained to her that she had unconsciously been using this technique to help her feel safer and she was relieved to learn that it was in fact very beneficial to her. Thank you for these techniques.

183. Joe Healing Facilitator says:

Great tips!! Thank you!!

184. Sheila, Teacher, Ireland says:

Will use the techniques with children on the autistic spectrum.

185. viviana davies energy therapist melbourne australia says:

thank you. very useful and simple. I recommend having clients put hands one on forehead other on base of skull in back. also soothing

186. Lori Nicholson, CH, HBCE- Olney, MD says:

These simple tools have so many applications–not only for those clients who are traumatized, but also for those who have trouble staying grounded due to anxiety. I’d love to learn more about Somatic Experiencing.

187. Sue, Teacher says:

Really sweet techniques for settling. Thank you.

188. Mary Anne Threet, Elementary School Counselor, Colorado Springs CO says:

These 2 techniques will be simple enough for young children and give them something to focus on when they are upset. Talking absolutely isn’t appreciated in times of high stress but copying what I do gives the brain and body a different focus. School started this week and I’ll be eager to try this with our precious children. So often I see kids who react from a primal place and I don’t know their history. They have loved brain gym and other energy techniques I’ve picked up from Donna Eden’s work. I’ll look forward to letting you know results! Thank you. Now, I’m going to give myself the hug (the first tip shown) and go right to sleep!!
    Mary Anne

189. Susan Ristow MD says:

Techniques for feeling boundaries of the body are very helpful. Thank you for sharing these specific ideas.

190. Beth Sutton, LAc, DiplAc - Macon, GA says:

Appreciate this. I hope that you will have Peter Levine speak and demonstrate the practice he calls “voo” – from his book (In An Unspoken Voice).

191. Alice Weekley, Ph.D. Sch. Psych. Tucson, AZ says:

I appreciate the simplicity of these techniques. Many are not able or willing to absorb verbal technical information.

192. Terry Beaudreau says:

These techniques simple as they are work.
    Sometimes clients use a pillow to hold over their
    chest and one behind them for a feeling of containment .

193. jay ,tx, usa says:

I find this very useful . I believe , it helps with the flow of energies. Thanks.

194. Linda Wright, Wellness Advocate, Phx. Az says:

Dearest Peter & Ruth,
    I love these, the simplicity will help so many people….I have always believed health can be easy, we just need to know what to do & what NOT to do.
    Touching ourselves in a healing way can be a perfect place to start.

Blessings on your Path, many thanks,

Linda

195. Elaine says:

Thankyou, as a person who has suffered from severe childhood trauma these self soothing methods will be invaluable when i disassiciate. I am an emotional over eater and am looking fo rways to alter my default behaviour.

196. Sakinah Beth says:

I love the feelings of comfort and security when I do these exercises.

197. Netsanet Amare says:

I agree that it is very important to teach self soothing techniques. I always teach a few so that clients can choose ones that they find most helpful. I think it helps people to begin to feel hopeful and powerful again when they can deal with symptoms of fear and unease themselves.
    Thank you!

198. Yaari Dyer, Psychologist, Canada says:

Great techniques. I find Dan Siegel’s variation on the hand on heart one is also useful – one hand on heart one hand on belly – breathe – breathe – then change hands.

199. Marie-Pierre Cleret says:

Thanks for sharing these tools.

200. Annette Yunus psychologist says:

Thank -you I will try these on myself first and then with clients

Please Leave A Comment