Brain 2013 Siegel

Dan Siegel, MD

Dan Siegel, MD

The Mind Lives in Two Places: Inside Your Body, Embedded in the World.

and Ruth Buczynski, PhD

with Dan Siegel, MD

Ruth Buczynski, PhD

55 Comments

Speak Your Mind

55 Comments

1. Paticia Dodds says:

Wonder lecture by Dr. Lipton. I will shortly be working with HIV positive clients in my community and will use this information to help give a positive approach to the patients I encounter. Thank you!!

2. Hi!
    First I want to say THANK YOU for doing this! It is great to be able to learn online when we as I do, live far away. I have been studying IPNB online with Dan Siegel so I know quite a lot about this already but it was great to see how other therapist including you talked about IPNB. You have started a great thing here!! As a couple therapist I use IPNB very much. I have even written a book about this. The book is out in both Swedish and in English. I try to inspire couples and therapists to use Couples therapy (IMAGO) with IPNB in Mind. My books name: You Can Make it Happen: How Breakthroughs in Neuroscience Can Transform Relationships.
    I also enjoyed your two quests. Both after the hour with Dan as well as after the program. I especially got inspired to bye Marchas book. I guess we have written a books that may be a bit similar. Wonderful that so many around the world come with good stuff that gets integrated. Excuse my English if it sound strange…. Thanks again, Eva Berlander

3. Fina says:

I have listened to Dr. Siegel several times and it’s always so instructing¡He has the capacity to make very complex concepts easier.He builds so important bridges between science and psychotherapy.

4. rochelle says:

I tried to get on the webinar but could not.. so am really disappointed..

5. Kristine De Block says:

I would have loved to listen to the webcast, but unfortunately the video kept cutting out after about 30 secs, despite a fast broadband connection, and I had to give up in the end. Any chance of making this available to people who had technical difficulties at the time of broadcast? I would love to find out more about this fascinating subject for myself and my patients.

6. Barbara Hembling says:

I had a great deal of difficulty accessing the site. I spent 15 minutes repeatedly trying to get on. It was disappointing. I did get on after 15 minutes, but didn’t dare leave the audio to go for the video. I may never have gotten back..

7. Suzy says:

Dr. Siegel’s unique ability to teach neurobiology in layman language is extraordinary. I learn so much more when I can visually observe the person speaking. Love the webinars and Dr. Ruth… You are a delightful woman. Let’s get the mindful word out!!!
    Best regards,
    Suzy

8. Krista says:

I had some technical troubles with the live video feed. I managed to hear most of the talk and am eager to learn more. I’ll be looking for a copy of The Mindful Therapist. I wish there was more time to hear more about all the states he mentioned for reintegration for those who have PTSD and/or problems with dissociation. This work sounds so much more promising to me than simply medicating a person for life.

The tech difficulties – the sound and video skipped several times so that the continuity of all speakers was compromised. The discussion afterwards dropped altogether about ten minutes in and refreshing wouldn’t bring it back; after trying a couple times, I got a screen that said the presentation was over. I hope to have better luck tomorrow.

Thank you for putting this conference together and making it accessible for free.

9. mario says:

I work as a play therapist with children aged 0-5 covered by Medicaid. Most of these children are in foster care, most of them have been exposed to trauma, especially from neglect at an early an early age. I loved this workshop. I have read Dan Siegel and appreciate his work. I am always searching for a training or book that will give me specifics about how to best help infants,toddlers and preschoolers whose self-regulation has been impaired by disorganized attachment and impaired self-regulation. Since my agency does not pay for trainings and I am semi-retired,I am looking for a training or book that will give me a tool kit to help repair the damage that has been inflicted on these children. The trainings and books I have come across have given me a good foundation but are lacking in specifics that are useful with this age group. Having taught preschoolers for 20 years I know very well that what works with a kindergartner or a first grader does not work with a three year old or a younger child. If any of you know of a specific training, workshop or book(s) I would be most grateful.

• Lauren says:

Check out the work of Nina Jonio (www.neurosolutions.org) and her neurological reorganization therapy. I just heard her speak and was fascinated to learn of the successes realized by having children and adults reprocess developmental stages they inadequately moved through or skipped entirely in early years.

10. Norma DeJournette RN MS says:

I was very pleased to hear Dr. Siegal’s presentation! I’ve recently been asked to do a follow up talk to our American Counseiling Association group because I had done a talk on the brain last month in a Cancer Treatment Centers of America program, “Journey of Hope”. Dr Siegal’s framework is wonderful for structuring my talk, How to Heal Hurting Hearts. I will definitely be recommending his books and knowledge to the group. It’s a blessing, and this was just the beginning! Excited for more to come! Thanks Ruth. I love your demeanor! Energetic and balanced!

11. Kati Morrison says:

Many thanks, Ruth, for having this amazing presentation. Your dialogue with Dan made it easy to follow. As a psychiatrist, learning and teaching Attachment Theory to psychotherapists for many years, the first time I can capture the big picture. Humanity integrated finally. I just hope, that all health professionals, specially who are doing psychotherapy, (the name may change to “integrative therapy”?) will learn interpersonal neurobiology.
    This conceptualization will finally free people from the stigma of mental illness and will be much more effective to treat with focused therapy for the conditions.
    It will be very cost effective also, that only people, who are qualified can treat. Long way down the line, hope it will happen. I am very grateful to have been able to learn from Dan. Kati Morrison

12. Lynda says:

I have read Dan’s books The Mindful Therapist and Mindsight, and purchased a couple of copies of The Whole Brain Child a few months ago to lend to clients experiencing parenting challenges and/or just wanting to know more about how to do the best they can in support of their children’s development.. Although I have some basic understanding from Dan’s books I never fail to obtain additional understanding and therapeutic insight when I hear him speak. I am fascinated by the new research on brain science and neuro plasticity, and am excited to be able to offer this knowledge to my clients, even in my own limited way. Thank you for a great webinar!

13. Wendy says:

Great! Thank you, Dr. Buczynski, for making this information available to me. I’m excited about the brain.
    Thank you, Dr. Siegel, for sharing the positive outcome from your hard work; making the working parts more easily understood and making healing the brain an achievable goal. I love to pass information that will improve the quality of life, whether it’s to assist elderly neighbors with increasing challenges or to help my family have a smoother day.
    The examples helped me to understand behavior I’m witnessing and recognize how to help myself and the people I care for enjoy happier experiences.

I saw an example of how part of our brains works, by watching bee behavior on NOVA/PBS in “Chapter 4 of 5, Hive Mind:”
    Apparently, bees communicate much the same way our neurons do, in that information is repeatedly presented by more than one participant/neuron firing and then dramatically lobbied for, garnering support by sales pitch/rapid firing, insistence, the numbers of fellow lobbyist/neurons joining in and even by the bullying of opposing bees/neurons.
    Both bees and brain cells use positive and negative selling. Neurons firing in favor of one group can also act to inhibit the firing in the other group, by sending a chemical signal. Researchers call it, “CROSS INHIBITION” and it’s how we make decisions quickly.
    Seeing this made me wonder how all the firing and conflicting chemicals released in our snap decisions affect how we feel, afterward, and if we can consciously interfere with the process in a positive way, when we recognize it happening.
    Perhaps that is a neuroscience question for a future webcast…
    Should we try to control our automatic behavior? Will doing so relieve unnecessary stress or add more?

14. karima says:

I loved learning from Dan today! I am most excited to hear again from him with more practical ways to identify disintegration within the domains. Describing each domain in more detail with case studies highlighting what integration would look like practically speaking would be very helpful. On a side note I love the way Ruth mediates these calls. She has the perfect balance of directing the interview while giving her guest the most air time possible. Thanks Ruth.

15. hilary adele says:

Fantastic breakdown and explanation… This information really needs to be spread across all sectors, as it is clear that our behaviour and emotional responses are the forefront of how we intergrate on all levels… It appears to me that it is another main cog in the wheel for helping humanity to heal itself… Blessings to all in your contributions to share this with us all…

16. Mindy Soules, LCSW says:

Fantastic information, easy to follow and understand so it can be put into practice with our clients.

17. Crystal Hawk says:

Wow! he is the best. Thanks for bringing him. I couldn’t connect at 5 PM but caught it at 6:30. I volunteer teach at The Toronto Gilda’s Club for those living with cancer and I realize that most of my work is to help the members come to harmony and integration in their thinking as well as in their emotions. I’ve been involved with Energy Psychology for over 17 years and to-morrow in class I’ll be helping them get over the trauma of the shock of their diagnosis. I’m so thrilled that I’m able to help them do this very quickly and effectively with EFT – Emotional Freedom Technique – because I think it helps them to come to the state of integration that Dan was talking about. Many of them have become chaotic emotionally and fear can make one rigid. But the first step is the one they’ve taken by coming to Gilda’s. EFT helps them overcome both the chaos and rigidity. Also it helps them remove some early traumas which are feeding into these emotions. Dan is the best. I’ve been reading his books. Thanks so much for having him. Bless you both.

18. I am very interested in the convergence between neuroscience and psychotherapy and was amazed at how many ideas Dr. Siegal nailed. It was one of the best webinars to date. The only thing is, I think Dr. Siegal has so many ideas that he could do a whole series himself.

19. Ruth: What an incredible inspiring evening. I teach medical psy and ethics at a medical school. In our third semester of five the course works consists of immunology, neurobiology, medical psy, medical ethics and the doctor-patient relationship. My kudos to Dan Siegel for this absolutely brilliant insightful and integrative conceptualization in the first program. This really helps put all those courses together in a medical student’s curriculum.
    Ruth, good for you too on the organization, the two excellent talk back presenters, and the overall superb quality of the presentation. I’m writing all my colleagues urging them to consider signing up for this outstanding project.
    Daniel Eckstein, PhD, Professor of Behavioral Sciences, Saba Univ. School of Medicine, Saba, National Dutch Caribbean
    Former president, North American Society of Adlerian Psychology

20. Rebecca Voight says:

Very informational. Fascinating. Really got me thinking and excited.

I am a motoric stroke survivor. Would the hippocampus be the source of my brain “disconnect”?

21. Darla says:

I am not a professional. I was born with neonatal convulsions and spent the first year of my life on Luminal, possibly overdosed, possibly suddenly interrupted (1949). I am trying to rewire my brain to allow for experiences that an infant normally has. I am learning about three dimensional vision, trust, skin kontakt, belonging, being nurtured, being a human with human interactions, “I” and “the other”, and all other experiences of an average infant, trying to undo the terror of abandonment and separation anxiety. I hope that one of the speakers – or all? – will adress the prenatal and neonatal period, where all the wiring and chemistry begins and creates the setting for all possible experiences. I have read quite a bit, but have not run into studies adressing this beginning in an artificial isolation cell.

• Sheelagh Montgomery says:

Can I suggest the possibility of exploring “LIFESPAN INTEGRATION THERAPY” established in the last 10 years or so, using a timeline to integrate past experiences with a resulting sense of a more solid core self. Excellent resolution and integration of past trauma too. There is a protocol which begins with “cell being” to birth to the present.

website: http://www.Lifespanintegration.com -where there is more info and a list of LI practitioners
      I can also recommend an excellent recently published book by Cathy Thorpe, “The Success and Strategies of Lifespan Integration” available on Amazon!

22. Yvonne Aileen says:

My son, Samuel, was diagnosed with high-functioning autism at age 2 1/2. He’s 13 now, and in a mainstream school with a lot of support. Attention appears to be his biggest issue; he’s very sweet and artistic and moderately social. VERY empathetic. But he has trouble paying attention, or even knowing when he’s being given instructions unless it’s directed personally toward him.

It would be great if the talks had a “how to use this now” component geared toward laypersons. I think for clinicians, this might more intuitive than it is for others. I have tried to explain to Sam’s teachers how much Sam wants to be compliant and how important kindness is. Most are kind anyway, but some are not naturally kind and it is difficult to get through to them how very important that is with someone like Sam. He shuts down if he thinks he’s in trouble or did something wrong.

Thank you for doing the series.

Yvonne

23. Sandy Sklar says:

I found the identification of impaired integration as rigidity or chaotic to be helpful. I would appreciate help in seeing some specifics of how to promote integration. I believe the example of using the narrative was one way. What are others. And which of Dan’s books would be most helpful for this information.

24. Fabulous! As a neurologic music therapist, I am always supporting integrative therapeutic interventions thru the use of music.
    These webinars provide support and understanding of the clients I serve ( troubled youth – adolescent sex-offenders).
    Thank you!

25. Dawn Baker says:

Whilst I have read and listened to Dan’s books, as someone who loves maps and patterns, I almost swooned over his clarity re domains and the search for general principles. What a superb piece of academic prose for me this morning (as it is in Brisbane, Australia). Ruth, I was impressed by your following of his complexity and asking insightful questions. The two respondents Joan and Ron added to the rich mix. I recently retired and think that this time I will not be a Gold Member – however, I can feel the itch in terms of wanting the transcript and to hear his amazing mind again.

• Dawn Baker says:

PS – Sorry that the general charge has gone from $147 to $197.

• Dawn Baker says:

I caved in and joined. I’ve been an education junkie all my life and I look forward to listening as well as watching again as Daniel opens his mind before us.

• Sheelagh Montgomery says:

Agree re regret that this time I cannot afford the Gold membership……However I watched the first broadcast tonight at 10pm here in UK and then I watched the 2nd broadcast at 11.30pm to make notes!!
        Wow such an amazing amount of information, which in itself was bringing integration of many aspects of past learning and processing! Integrating differences?!

Can I also mention the possibility of exploring “LIFESPAN INTEGRATION THERAPY” established in the last 10 years or so, using a timeline to integrate past experiences with a resulting sense of a more solid core self. Excellent resolution and integration of past trauma too.
        website: http://www.Lifespanintegration.com
        I can recommend a recently published book by Cathy Thorpe, “The Success and Strategies of Lifespan Integration” available on Amazon!

26. Powerful start to the series and I am now eager to reread Dan’s books Wheel of Awareness and The River of Integration are images that many clients report as being so helpful to remember as quick references to be more aware in challenging situations

I do hope that Dan might be invited back soon to deepen our understanding of the 9 domains perhaps using actual case studies to illustrate which ones needed attention and how he and his team worked with those domains
    many thanks
    Helen Sharwood

27. Marsha Mintz says:

Thank you for this learning opportunity. I enjoyed every moment of the webinar presentation and the talk-back.
    I am not a professional psychologist, therapist, etc.
    I am the mother of a 16 yr old boy who had encephalitis at age 3. What I learned today has shed light on many issues, and will lead to and open new directions in healing. This information has validated my intuitive understanding of his disorders and conditions. I am in the process of finding ways to address his needs in the quest for services. Not by coincidence, today he had his first meeting with a professional. Due to circumstances, he has been sorely neglected for nearly three years.
    Thankfully, I have been more empowered recently to seek the proper help and input for him; I’m back in his corner. This session has been essential for me to acknowledge that there is help for his healing process.

Thank you, and I look forward to continuing to follow this series.

Marsha Mintz

28. Sara says:

I’d also like to comment on Elizabeth Stringer’s comment! Thanks Elizabeth- your point is so well taken. We should also include the fact that all the latest brain research could not have come about if it wasn’t for the knowledge we learned from the Eastern philosophies.

29. I think I’m going to love this series. What a kickoff. I agree with the comment that said you can keep the slides up longer. I was wondering if you purposely took them down fast to urge people to become members? They went away much to fast to notate them. Thus a pause button in the replay would obviously solve that. True?

Agree also that it’s about time “sience” came up with “proof” of the astounding results many of us have been already achieving through working with the subconscious mind to heal trauma. I’ve been in the field 30 years and it seems ridiculous we need research to prove the efficacy with something as simple as empathy. But how many Doctors and PhD’s are lacking in that with all their diplomas?

It really helps me to know I was onto something when I coined the phrase “Inner Voice Integration” in my book on sub-personalities.

Keep up the good presentations,
    Debbie Unterman, Master Alchemist

30. Meredith Waugh says:

Fascinating presentation and very thought provoking. It made me think about my work both as a mental health clinician and educator/trainer – you know someone is getting better when they “feel” more integrated – in their appearance, dress, manner, attitude, how and what they talk about, etc. You know when someone has “got it”/learnt something when they start integrating what they learned into their thinking, behaviours and attitudes. I think my focus has been too narrow on the brain and neuroscience rather than on the mind – embodied and embedded. I also found Dr Siegel’s comment about most psychiatric disorders being a result of impaired integration to be extremely useful. Many thanks :)

31. I was engrossed in Dan Siegel’s webinar session, I cannot believe the hour went so quickly! I shall be looking forward to the rest of the series.

32. Sara says:

Stepping back and observing the essence of Interpersonal Neurobiology -which makes it so effective- is the concept and practice of not pathologizing people. Which happens too frequently in our society- esp. because of the corrupt iron triangle that exists between the pharmaceutical industry, government and psychiatry.

I work with people of all ages from adolescent to elders and the practice of medicating people without therapy (as well as over medicating people), is the most detrimental aspect of modern medicine.

It’s such a pleasure to listen and read Dr. Siegel’s work and his de-labeling and de-pathologizing people’s struggles.

Thank you for presenting this series.

33. Paula Carpe says:

I tried to get on the webinar but it did not work…very disappointing to have missed this i suggest a different video conference platform I use this one for conference meetings that are interactive and also a broadcaster for getting your message out to many people. both are international check it our http://www.meetwithpaula.com
    please let me know when you will have another viewable webinar…

thanks,

Paula

34. I was very interested to hear the brain chemistry and theory around the very thing that I have been doing with my clients for 13 years! My work was developed by Dr Moshe Feldenkrais in the middle of the last century and addresses the integration of the mind/body system by means of movement awareness. Dr Siegel’s information underlines the amazing complexity and potential of the system!
    I sent out your announcement to all of my newsletter list to help them better understand just what’s possibility through the work they are doing with me.
    Thank you so much for putting this out there! The possibilities are legion for our world to evolve into a much more positive place!

35. Marcia Zegar, MA, CCC-SLP, LSLS AVEd says:

My speciality area is in providing auditory/verbal intervention with children who are deaf/hard of hearing who have chosen listening/spoken language as their primary mode of communiation. I have several young clients who have received cochlear implants and although born deaf, can now access sound to develop listening and spoken language skills. I was very interested in the comments Dr. Siegel made regarding neuroplasticity — a phenomena I’ve seen often as a child’s brain is literally changing with this new event of auditory input — and the decrease of external chaos as the child develops and has access to the spoken communications which ground the inter-relationships with his/her family members and beyond. I also appreciated Dr. Siegel’s comments regarding traumatic events during a child’s formative years and how such events places that child into the ‘high risk-category’ for more pronounced reactions to a single trauma in the future. I feel, as a therapist and educator, this is critical to know in order to provide the child and the family with even a level of awareness. Thank you for this opportunity — the webinar was excellent and I look forward to next week’s session with Dr. Hanson.

36. Lowell Byall says:

I hope sometime you would expand his insights as they may relate to dealing with Alzheimer’s Disease, how to keep the links open.

• Dawn Baker says:

I would like to add my request for a series on the limits of psychotherapy in Alzheimer’s. I think its sadly matter over mind.

37. Elizabeth Stringer says:

I appreciate the generosity of Dr. Siegel and the team in presenting the material. I have to say though, the main piece of news is that the science is catching up with what we as practitioners have known and been practicing for some time. I didn’t find anything clinically new or useful. The fact that the science is catching up is a relief though, and extremely important, because without the scientific support, it’s difficult for the general public and insurance companies to take psychopathology and psychotherapy seriously.

38. Ainslie says:

I thoroughly enjoyed the presentaion. The 9 domains were fascinating. In my work here I have been regularly using the first 3 and 5th consciously with good resluts for clients in pain. I think I am also using some of hte others intuitively to some degree with some clients. Learning more about the other domains and being more conscious of them will nodoubt improve my results with clients further. In this very small community we don’t have the luxury of working with other disciplines. Thank you for this opportunity to learn more. I will be hunting for Dan’s books from the library next time I visit NZ.
    Ainslie

39. Diane Speier says:

So much valuable information presented today. It might be helpful if the information slides were held on screen just a while longer to get all the details. Thanks.

40. Corinne Driscoll says:

In my religious studies I have come to understand the concept of the one mind. Course in Miracles teaches there is one mind and that mind is God’s mind which we all share. This is my first non spiritual interpretation on the concept of the mind being imbodied and embedded; along with the concept of not owning the mind but accessing it. Wow. Great information that I plan to use in my self-awareness workshops.

41. Al Babich says:

After reading Mindsight, I enjoyed actually listening to Dan. Working students with emotional disorder, metaphor is an excellent way to provide perspective. Adolescents love to be emowered and showing them how their brain works motivated them to try the interventions.

42. I really enjoyed this first seminar in the series. I was fascinated the different domains. I’ll be looking into his books for more information. Also enjoyed the “Talk Back.”

43. Dr. Siegel confirmed through his findings and methodology the alternative/integrative technology I have developed which works to help patients to heal from the root cause of the condition. I call my technology: “Psychobiophysical Healing” TM. Thank you for the confirmation in such a clear, physiological perspective!

44. I loved the river analogy as well. Chaos and rigidity as the banks…and integration as the flowing river. I just found out yesterday that a friend’s adopted daughter killed her two children and then herself. My friend is actually a biological uncle and after his brother and his brother’s wife died by suicide, my friend adopted and raised their two children. Nothing stood out about this woman’s behaviour over the years. She was smart, funny, and considered a calm stay-at-home mom. People have been stymied by the complete lack of warning signals. Obviously there were signs, but they were missed. I need to do a lot more reading, but I have so enjoyed these telecasts over the last few years! My hope is to see Dan Siegel in person one day. Barb

45. Chanda says:

Thoroughly enjoyed this presentation. Always fascinating to learn about the intricacies of the human experience. Very much looking forward to the upcoming webinars!

46. Semra Kecelioglu, LCSW-R says:

This webindar was pretty much a refresher for me as I’m quite familiar with Dan Siegel’s work, have his books, audio CDs, and watch his presentations on You Tube. For those who are not familiar, this was a great first introduction.

47. Deborah Schwartz says:

Fantastic! Dr. Siegal’s work and ideas has much to offer in our work with our Aboriginal and First Nations communities in healing from the effects of residential school and other trauma. Thank you!!

Speak Your Mind